Exiled to Devil's Island.

@thea09 (18316)
Greece
I was thinking of Henri Cherriac earlier, the infamous 'Papillon' who wrote of his experiences as a French convict sent to a penal colony. Conditions were primitive and many inmates died of tropical diseases. Years of solitude were the punishment for attempted escape. Of course Papillon finally escaped from his exile on Devil's Island and lived to write his tale, but it made me wonder about other penal conditions, present or past, in other areas. Anything to add?
@kitty42 (3924)
Hello my friend Speaking from second hand experience I wonder what goes on the prisons here since people seem to like being there it makes me wonder That prison sounds a little rough I think things here are a little to comfortable maybe if they did that here people will think twice about going to prison
@thea09 (18316)
• Greece
Hi Kitty, so you make it sound as if they're all having a rollicking good time in the prisons your way. I don't think your current crop of prisoners would have been rushing off for time served in the colony prisons, little strict to say the least, then all the dangers of catching leprosy or being eaten by wild pigs. Wonderful read 'Papillon' Kitty, if you haven't come across it before.
@kitty42 (3924)
Hello my friend I don't think they are having a good time just not serving hard time not enough to stay out, I will look into that wild pigs sounds scary
My mom grew up in rural Southeast Oklahoma. They had a POW camp for German Submarine soldiers. Now this is a long way from any large body of water. I found this strange when she told us about it.
@thea09 (18316)
• Greece
Hi Gerty, I never heard of that one or anything much to be honest about pow camps in the States though I am familiar of course with the camps constructed for the Japanese civilians during the war. I suppose they must have been trying to keep presumabely able seamen well away from the water as that probably would have been their escape route of choice.