Medical Care or Lack of Access...

@ParaTed2k (22980)
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I wonder what kills more people every year, lack of access to medical treatment or medical treatment? I don't know how many people die from a lack of medical coverage, but medical treatment causes the deaths of over 100,000 people in the US every year.
@N4life (851)
Anyone who thinks they are better off without medical treatment, don't get it. Your life expectancy will drop at least two-fold. Ever wonder why we live longer than we used to ...doh!
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I'm not saying anyone is better off with our without medical care. I'm not anti medicine, in fact, my degrees are both medical based. However, facts are facts. If 18,000 people die every year because they couldn't get medical care, but over 100,000 people die as a result of the medical care they got, that is a problem. It's not something that should be ignored just so we don't appear to be anti medicine. btw, contrary to propaganda, medicine has never been the end all be all of health care.
@N4life (851)
Really the only reasonble question here than is whether those 18,000 had a better chance of surviving if they had recieved care. Facts are not facts when you can look at numbers in the wrong way. Of course there are going to be more people dieing from medical care if the vast majority of people get some type of care. If in a critical state of heath I would rather have access.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Statistically a lot of those 18,000 would have been killed by the treatment given them. My point isn't about whether or not a person should seek medical treatment. While I don't think medical is the end all, be all of health care, I also would never tell anyone not to seek it.
@Koriana (302)
well, they won't let me paste, so can't provide a link...sorry ain't wasting the time just to find out that I miscopied it! but, well, I looked it up, found an article stating that it's around 18,000 preventable deaths due to lack of insurance. ya know, it would be intersting to see just who those uninsured are. what their occupation is ect. who knows, maybe the workers, the producers in the country are deliberately being held out of the system for a reason...and well...most of the insured are now just lab rats.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I'll look that up, thanks for the info! If that number is true, then treatment kills far more than lack of treatment.
@Koriana (302)
so then....can the government stop taking money from my paycheck to add to the pool that they will use when my coworker decides she should have baby number four and well, let daddy number four deliver it instead?? what's the point of this? quite frankly I was halfway serious about the lab rat statement... what, you think I want my money going into testing dangerous toxins on unsuspecting poor people any more than I want what we have now?
@bdugas (3581)
You are so right, I am beginning to believe that doctors perscribe medicine on what is going around at the time, I know that my hubby and daughter had some form of the flu a few months ago, and when I became sick, she perscribed the same medicine for me as them. Instead of dealing with mine on a strictly what does she have, she assumed I had the same thing as they did. So she said I had to take the medicine and it would work. Well it did not work because I didnt' have what they had, and the more she said take the medicine, the sicker I became. I finally had to get up drive myself to the emergency room where I was given differnet medicine and was feeling better with in a matter of days. Just because one person has something does not mean that the rest does. I kept telling her my gall bladder was bad, she kept telling me it was acid reflex, the sicker I got I finally begging for an test on it, she said just to show me I didn't have a problem with it, she sent me for ultrasound, and what did they find a gall bladder full of stones. Too many doctors don't listen to the patient and they make their decisions based on what they have seen before. Now a days you can not be turned down at the emergency room, so getting medical treatment is not the issue, but the mistakes that doctors make each year that ends someone's life has grown over the years. I sometimes think doctors become bored with seeing the same people over the course of their days and don't pay attention to what they are doing.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I agree, Doctors base everything on treating symptoms, not treating the body against illness. I too have been made worse by following the directions of my doctor. When I took myself off the meds, I started feeling better.
That is a very good question. I avoid medical facilities when at all possible. When it is too much, and I have to go, I am seldom happy with what I am told or the outcome. Every time I visit ER with a friend or an adult client, I end up ill myself. I have been in one terrific clinic for surgery a few years back, but it was very small, and was the exception rather than the rule. It was also a scheduled surgery, not an emergency.