Do you think that call centre jobs are for no brainers?

@redphile (2265)
Call center agents or workers are pointed as jobs with no brainers most of the time. Yes good money is earned but then they say that you are wasting your time studying because some companies can even accept applicants with at least 2nd year cuorse in college. Or if you have a bachelors degree and you are in a call center, its like wasting your diploma on this job. What are your thoughts on this?
@erikmama (12929)
My last three jobs have been in call cneters and I do not agree with you. For a person to do good in a job like this, they have to be a poeple person to begin with. Not everyone can handle calls all day long, especially the attitudes that come along with some of them. For a company to suceed good employees/customer service is a must, so I do not think this is a job just anyone can do.
@redphile (2265)
Yeah I believe so, Im just a little disheartened at how they look at call center workers. Its a difficult job actually, you have to have a lot of skills to excel here.
@rosepedal64 (4191)
Hi redphile I would have to disagree with you as well. It sounds like you have had a bad experience on a call with a call center. I know that I have had a bad experience as well but I just let it pass and go on. In a call center the workers are being put thru alot abuse from some of their customers. I try to keep that in mind when I call and get a nasty attitude from one of them. They have a rough job. Keep that in mind. Have a good day and hope that you have a better experience with the call centers..
@redphile (2265)
hmm, not really a bad experience but i just read an article that steps on the call center industry. its really sad to hear that for an industry that gives a lot of revenue in a city or in a country, other people would still try and attack this industry in whatever way they can. But I do agree with you that it is a rough job but then the reward is what matters right.. =)
The reward is good. They do make good money but I think that they don't make enough for what they have to put up with. Believe me I have been one of those customers who has blew a fit on them over a bill or service. I now try to keep my cool when I call. Unless I get a rude customer service rep and then I ask to speak to someone else. Have a nice day and keep smiling..
@redphile (2265)
yeah i will keep smiling thanks! =)
I pity those who might think that belonging to the call center industry is just a waste of time. I personally have learned a lot from being part of it and proudly I can say that I am currently establishing my own. The versatility of this industry has thought me the essence of learning, patience and observation. It does not matter if you are an undergraduate or a bachelor degree holder, the attitude is what counts. Many may think it is an easy job but can they would never understand that despite the constant change in this industry we are able to adapt. How many can do that?
I absolutely disagree with this notion. Call center work demands a lot of quick thinking and presence of mind from its agents so they would be able to address customer concerns or close sales. Call center agents are always expected to be at par with the company's high standards otherwise they can lose their jobs. In spite of the great demand for workers in this industry, it is not always that easy to get a job as a call center agent. Call center companies continue to raise the bar in terms of applicant qualifications.
@prinzcy (5036)
No, it's not something like that. Being a call center worker require lots of thinking and patience to dealt with customers (that sometimes can literally kill you through the line) It's not a job for no brainers (BTW, I don't think such person as no brainer exist)
Great... Another possible troll in disguise, afraid to let us know where you came from?. I don't know what to say since you haven't a decent time commenting on other response. il try to nice as possible since your topic is undoubtedly offensive to those call center against who worked their a$$es up just to earn and provide good customer service despite of them getting insults from a lot of people on the phone. I am not sure if you had some experience with call centers, but people in the call center industry is not a "no brainers job" it takes a lot of patience, commitment and dedication to make it work or at least calm the customer down from being mad about a product or service. it's no easy job to most people. I don't consider studying as waste since people are still studying too while working if they're on the second year college.
@redphile (2265)
well im not against call center workers LetranKnight25. I just wanted to get more opinions of others regarding this statement. I just stumbled upon an article against call center workers and it affected me because it came from a professor who appreciates the revenue the government gets from this industry and yet despises how the system works in a call center environment. Hey you, Im a call center worker myself. I just wanted to know how people think of call center workers. Good to know that you are mad and thinks that this question (not statement) is offensive because that means you think highly of call centers as well =) thanks! =)
it's not that i think highly of the industry. it's just that. the work there isn't easy at all. no brainers don't pass initial interview that's for sure..
you should have mentioned that earlier, it's really sparking a bit of hate here. i want to see this damn so that i could put a fork in hiss A$$..am sorry i mistook you for a troll. CSR is not an easy job at all. imagine, getting the heat from angry immature customers, i don't think a no brainer can handle that sort of thing. GOod luck with your career.
@Lucky09 (1771)
hi redphile^^;; first, i would like to know how did u say like that? Is there any study or research conducted proving and testing the IQ and other capabilities of call center representatives. or is it merely your assumption? i bet it's the latter one...do u really know how call center agents work? well, does it mean that if i finished a bachelor's degree then i don't need to work in a call center? what about those who finished courses but are back to farming? does it mean that they too are not smart enough? your statement is i think baseless. nowadays, everybody is competing to have a nice job and salary and i think call center job is a nice option.
@redphile (2265)
yep i know how it works =) I just wanted to get opinions of others. I didnt really agree with my question, I just merely asked it. Its a great relief to know that a lot of people think highly of call center jobs. I just read a very bad article about call centers which really saddened me and thats why I wanted to know opinions of other people. thanks for the response! =)
@Lucky09 (1771)
hi red^^;; it's really a bad article that u have read over there since many have worked in a call center including me and i know how difficult to work there and u need to use some brain on how to solve problems that the customers are demanding and some are not on what we have been trained so we need to use our other knowledge. I hope this would clear negative notions on call center agents. have a nice day
@LdeL0318 (6421)
That was too unfair. I am a degree holder but I tried working in a call center before. It was not that easy as what everyone thinks of.
Yes I agree this question is really unfair. The sceening process in call centers is like going into a needle hole. It is not an easy job. Its not as simple as answering and receiving phone calls.
@redphile (2265)
no worries, i just read an article against call centers and it reaLLy saddens me. its good to know that there are still a lot of people who thinks highly of this kind of job. thanks! =)
@salonga (27835)
I am not a call center agent but I disagree with that statement. To say that a call center job is for no brainers is too harsh. I for one don't believe in it. How could it be for no brainers when only those who can speak real good English can be hired in this job. Well it is true perhaps that the job is not really very challenging because you only perform job through telephone transaction but I think call center workers are mostly intelligent people. Those who do not have brains are those who can't manage to earn in every possible way. Those are the people who opt to stay idle all the day and just waiting for their parents to feed them. But these call center agents are working hard and even sacrificing to work on graveyard shift just to a earn good money for a living. That reason alone made them brainy already
@redphile (2265)
Hey everyone! this is not a statement that I made but a question that I asked =) I just wanted to know how people think of call centers. and I think your responses are well enough said and made me happy to know that you all appreciate cal center workers =)
@lengzki (125)
I don't think so because even though I'm not from a call centre I knew some call centre companies who are really strict in terms of the quality of agents/people they hire...meaning the staff really go through a lot of screenings and series of exams. When they fail, they're out unlike in regular office where one is given lots of chances. I knew also lots of brainers who failed in some call centres so that means there are really some people who are not fit for a specific job. I guess it depends on one's flexibility and skills.
@redphile (2265)
another one from a non call center worker, good to hear that you appreciate call center workers! thank you! =)
I don't think it is a no brainier job. Even if they are accepting under graduate they have criteria. You have to be good and fluent in English, they also offer trainings. Answering phone calls and inquiries of customers needs a lot of knowledge and presence of mind. It is not all scripted. Applicants are being screen properly and not all that are applying are getting hired. As far as I know, they have elimination stage as well. So even if you passed the first and second stage, you are still not guaranteed. Hey just for information, I am not a call center agent. But I do strongly believe that they are not "no brains worker".
@redphile (2265)
good to hear that from a non-call center worker. thanks! =)
@sulsisels (1685)
I have worked in call centers after I lost my job of 23 years. I was laid off in a major downsize and was only 6 months from being fully vested. I lost out on 76 thousand dollars and instead walked with 2300. It was a very bad time for me as I had no idea that it was coming. I knew of the merger but thought my job was as secure as it could be. I have a BS in marketing and worked as a product manager, specializing in semiconductors..I had close to 80% market share and had just received my yearly raise..Things could not have been better than BAM..over,,just like that..I took a few months off and did some traveling and when I returned and started to look for a job in that same field, I could not find anything close to the salary I had been making..I was all high and mighty at that point and had that attitude that I was not going to work for less money..if they want me, they'll pay me..well, guess what, although I had offers, nobody wanted me that bad and so I walked away from the industry to persue something else..I looked long and hard and just couldn't connect with anything and my money started to dwindle to almost nothing..Finally I took a job in a call room until I could find something else..I worked for Ramada Cruise lines and tried to sell 4 day cruises to the Bahamas for commission only..It was the hardest job I ever had..You had to dial at least 150 numbers a shift and if you closed 1 or two deals that was a good day..These jobs are not for "idiots" as you have to be able to close and come across with a pitch that makes them say, "Where do I sign",,,Not easy and not an easy way to make money. There were weeks that I only made 100.00 and obviously you can't live on that. I moved from there and went to another call center trying to get donations for the state police..another next to impossible thing..I hATED asking people for money and they wanted you to lie to them on top of it..The hang up and rejection rate was so unbeliveably high that you just felt like jumping at the end of the day..I hated it and feel for anyone who has to make their living on the phone..Especially today with all the scams out there,,people are afraid to give to anyone and you can't blame them..I don't do that anymore but my phone often rings with folks trying to do the same thing for one organization or another. Although I never give, I am a lot nicer to these people than I used to be because I've been there and totally empathize with them...Someone gotta do it, but not me, never again,,I like to eat and drive a nice car, ya know?
@redphile (2265)
sad to hear about being laid off but its a good thing that you got yourself back on track. =) it is a difficult job to be in a call center but then after a day's work you know that you'll get more than a regular wage worker.
@jpso138 (7863)
I do not think that this job is for no brainers. You have to be qualified and of course its not that easy. The only thing is that when you start working for this kind of job, you work in a different time schedule and usually it affects much your health as well as your lifestyle.
@bird123 (10546)
I could never do this job. It's harder than you think. Some companies record every word then coach. Lots of stress. High turn over as well. I would not discount it as a waste in today's economy. If you do not want to do it for life, it is still a way to get your foot in the door of a large corporation. Who knows where you can go from there.
@forptc (290)
I don't think a call center job is a no-brainer at all. It requires a lot of skill and some talent to get through it and earn much. Truth is, you start off working like a horse and get paid small but as you spend more time at work, you get better compensated. Besides, it takes a lot of patience, quick wit and mind work to get through it. It's a mighty stressful job, if you'd ask me but I'd rather that than not get a single job. There are also a lot of openings and different positions one could apply for like administrative positions, IT positions and all. You don't have to just be one who takes calls. They usually hire for higher positions internally. Now about wasting your school credentials and degree, it actually depends on what you've finished. Commerce and human sciences graduates have a good future practicing their choice of profession in these companies. So are IT grads. For the rest, it would be difficult and quite a waste considering how much time you've spent specializing in a field and end up just taking calls without knowing if and when you'll achieve career growth. I'm positive, though, that it's better having a job than being a bum or even stealing and killing for a day's meal.
@Archie0 (4667)
[i]Hello redphile how can one say that working in a call centre is like wasting of time and its a work for no brainers? I think only those talk this who havent experienced working in there, I have worked for call centres which was citi bank of american branch.We had all banking system of americans to handle and we had to do it with so much deeper study and alertness because it was all money matters, and we could not take it lightly.I think for banking system we need brains ofcourse[/i]
@cherrc (662)
let me get this straight. some people never reached the end of their course either due to financial constraints or lost of interest. who are we to decide that this kind of job is for no-brainers? correct, they do accept 2nd year levels but depending on their communication skills. it would be unfair to say both for degree and non degree holders considering that it is really hard to find jobs of ur choice nowadays. i believe there are only two types of person exist in this world. one is intelligent and the other one is self-reliant. the choice is ours to take. :)