Mercury In Corn Syrup ? Will You Stop Eating HFCS?

United States
October 26, 2009 8:05pm CST
A new study done on high fructose corn syrp showed that almost half of the supply contained some mercury! A study published by the Environmental Health Journal pointed out that 9 out 20 commercial HFCS samples contained detectable levels of mercury and so did 1 out of 3 brand-name foods that use HFCS. Obviously the amounts found were not lethal on their own, however has the FDC been hiding this crucial health information? With commercials about how " healthy & natural" HFCS is, it makes you wonder if they knew about this awhile ago. And how did it get there? Is it in our water supply ? Mercury poisoning can cause many health issues. Too many to list. Will you start watching how much HFCS you consume ?
1 person likes this
8 responses
@Capsicum (1444)
• United States
27 Oct 09
Yes mercury is very dangerous,I will avoid anything that ,I know contains it.I have seen people who cannot walk because of mercury poisoning.This goes back to when alot of us where kids getting mercury filling that now leak,Now honey .What next,I do hope people are aware of just how disabling this can be if toxic in system.
@solared (1209)
• United States
27 Oct 09
If you want to avoid all mercury then don't touch thermometers,barometers, anything with a tempature,gage, or a thermostat for that matter. Dont' touch any metal, because it could have mercury, in it don't touch soil, or wood, this list goes on an on, electronics so on. If you tested yourself for mercury right now I guarantee you will find some, thats like saying the stuff that comes out of spray cans will kill you an perfumes yet we use them everyday aerosols, chemicals, the truth is mercury should be the least of your concerns you should be more worried about, what you breathe in when you walk outside.
• United States
27 Oct 09
I have a whole mouth fll of mercury fillings. I asked my dentist to remove them & he won't touch them. .... ????? ..... anyway, they it's worse if you disrupt them rather than leave them in your mouth.
@Capsicum (1444)
• United States
27 Oct 09
solared ,I was a nurse for a Nature-Path and Osteopath that practiced natural medicine, for 10 + years and seen it all.I know what does and does not contain high amounts mercury .Its always nice to have a expert on board though ! Geez what if ,I had forgot.
@dawnald (84078)
• Shingle Springs, California
27 Oct 09
Yikes, and this is the stuff they use in so many processed foods, right? Yeah, I'll have a look at labels more. I want to see what's going into my kids' bodies. Especially Cary... PS how the heck are you doing?
• United States
27 Oct 09
I haven't been around much lately, just lost my mom, so it's been tough. Mom's are the best, too bad I didn't get to be one. Next time you stop by Yuwie, visit my page & see the poem I wrote for her.. :)
@dawnald (84078)
• Shingle Springs, California
27 Oct 09
My condolences. Sure, I'll drop by and have a look!
@debrakcarey (19921)
• United States
28 Oct 09
I'm sorry to hear that Donna. I'll take a look too. hugs
@debrakcarey (19921)
• United States
28 Oct 09
Hi Donna! good to see you out and about! I already watch my HFCS intake....it makes my blood sugar go crazy! And it doesn't surprise me that it is contaminated...just about everything we eat now a days is, with something nasty. The price we pay for being 'civilized'. How ya been?
@debrakcarey (19921)
• United States
28 Oct 09
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you will accept my condolences. As for shaking up Yuwie...I might give it a go. Going to stop over tomorrow and write a blog. Will check out your poem there. hugs
@solared (1209)
• United States
27 Oct 09
Everyone has known for years how bad for you high fructose corn syrup is.
@Capsicum (1444)
• United States
27 Oct 09
Yes this is just the high fructose ! Did you also know or see, on a label that it contained mercury?
@solared (1209)
• United States
27 Oct 09
Yes I did an, I don't care, I don't think a lil mercury will hurt you, however if you consumed the same things everyday in copious amounts then yes. Anything in large amounts can hurt you even water, it's the same with Iron an Zinc are good for you, but in large amounts very bad, besides the mercury in there is very little, you get more mercury from handling things in everyday life you never knew contained mercury, their is more lead in pain than the mercury in those products.
@mariposaman (2967)
• Canada
27 Oct 09
I think if you are consuming high fructose corn syrup the mercury is probably the least of your worries. Any highly manufactured product I am suspicious of and I think high fructose corn syrup has detrimental health effects, one of them is that it contributes to obesity. Mercury is naturally present in the environment and your body can eliminate a certain amount over time. However there are lots of industrial processes including the burning of coal that releases high levels of mercury into the environment and it tends to bio accumulating in fat tissue.
• United States
27 Oct 09
They say mercury is contained in those new energy saving light bulbs that are soon the become "mandatory". The Chinese workers who manufacture them are becoming sick from mercury poisoning. They use the mercury to spark the light in the bulb.
• Canada
28 Oct 09
There has always been mercury inside flouescent tubes. When one of these break the mercury is released. People also do not take these to the hazardous waste facility for recycling but throw them in the trash where the mercury leaches into to groundwater and environment. There should be a deposit on these bulbs to ensure they are returned.
• United States
27 Oct 09
Absolutly the FDC hides information from us ALL of the time....but it will be extremely hard to stop eating HFCS as it is in practically EVERYTHING...unless you grow all of your own foods and only eat what you have raised you will get HFCS in something....
• United States
27 Oct 09
if only we could grow cookies & ice cream, then we would be all set. :)
@peavey (16956)
• United States
27 Oct 09
I had decided to try to eliminate HFCS from my diet before this came up. It's really hard to do and it's amazing how many products use it! Things you wouldn't even think of have it in them. I started eliminating it because it increases the appetite and I need to lose weight. I think I read that mercury gets into it because of the way it's processed. The amounts are measured in percentages, but we don't eat or drink in percentages, so don't think that HFCS is safe to use because the levels are lower than what is recommended.
• United States
27 Oct 09
Yep, it's in all the good stuff ! Then question is, what else is it in ? and cumulatively how much are we getting? They obviously can't put large amounts of it out there. They use mercury as a preservative in alot of products. Mercury causes alot of different diseases.
@Qaeyious (2361)
• United States
27 Oct 09
I also have been avoiding it as much as I can for years because of 1) of its high calorie content, and (2) I read one report that it acts more like a fat than a sugar. One article calls it the "new trans-fat." There is just so much negative information when googling it, it is a wonder it is allowed to be in most of our processed food supply.