That one special thing you have to have for the holidays!!

Boise, Idaho
Is there one special item or dish that you have to make or get every year for Christmas? For me it was always the delicious lemom meringue pie we used to get at Christmas from this one restaurant that isn't even in existance anymore. Every year we had to get in our order afew days ahead of time. We would go in and stand in line to get the pies. They had the boxes of pies stacked up all over and had people manning big ovens where pies were being taken out and more put it. It was a big deal and they were so good they were worth waiting for. Is there a certain item you just have to have every year?
@winterose (39897)
well for me it is the french tortiere, it is traditional in quebec, and both my aunt and my mother makes them. I just have to have the every year. My mother usually makes about 30 of them at a time gives some away and freezes the rest to eat later on, of course she serves two or three alone just for christmas because the family is so big.
I am not even sure what it is. Sounds good though! Enjoy!
sounds goood we have a relative from quebec will ask him if he eats this my hubby introduced me to pat oes?( spelling?) deep fried dough sprinkle with powsered sugar cut open butter nice!!!!!!!!should market them would buy yummy!
@winterose (39897)
not sure if I ever had those though, but they do sound delicious
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
Not really, other then the turkey I guess. It's been years since my grandmother has done anything, the past two years I spent Thanksgiving and Christmas with my husband's family. This year we went to my dad's for thanksgiving and plan to go to my aunt's for Christmas, weather and time permitting.
Sounds like you will be way too busy for any festive traditions anyway. Enjoy!
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
Yes, today was the last day of visiting family for christmas though we're supposed to get together with my dad if nothing else for a few minutes to give him his gift from us. We ended up going to two places not counting home for a celebration.
Sounds like you are having a swell time. Good for you!
@Lakota12 (42681)
oh yes Chocolate covered Cherries
Those do sound good.
@Lakota12 (42681)
oh they are! yummy
@writersedge (22577)
My family has to have shrimp. I don't know why, but we do. I think it has something to do with us having lived near water in the olden days, but then most Provinces in France were on the water. Maybe it's just because we all love seafood. Not sure why. Shrimp and cocktail sauce for everyone!
Mmmm. Shrimp does sound good. Sounds strange for my neck of the woods but they are delicious!
@writersedge (22577)
Thank you very much for best response.
@gemini_rose (16192)
Yeah, double cream! I love double cream and I do not really bother with it all year but Christmas I jus have to have it! So I buy a pudding that I know double cream will go with. Other than that there is not much else I really bother about!
Is it like whipped cream? Not sure.
@pyewacket (44031)
The only thing I can think of to make this time of year truly special is having that Christmas tree up--I'm like a little kid when it comes to Christmas and look forward to it all year long, even though I now follow the pagan/wicca path I still insist on that tree..but then, bringing in the evergreen at Yule IS a Druid thing...LOL For New Year's Eve I indulge myself with that onion dip and potato chips to watch the New Year come in...it's the only time I have that..LOL
Ah yes! The ole basic chips and dips. Tried and true.
Yum, that sounds really good. I like to have Chex Mix with some butter baked into it. My mom would buy a couple of boxes and then buy some butter, she would then melt the butter and pour it all over the Chex Mix, then she would bake it in the over for a little while. We used to eat it hot with the buttery flavor cooked in.
That does sound good. Like popcorn but with alot more flavor.
@thenieruz (137)
Chocolate Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory (I think it's called that anyway). Sadly they are so expensive, especially this time of year.
Sounds devine. We tried a couple times to get in at the Cheesecake Factory but never could. Too crowded.
I always have to make stuffing, even though nobody but me eats it and I have to make my grandmas green beans. Also, if I don't make deviled eggs everybody goes crazy! I love to eat the deviled eggs I just hate to make them more than anything, I think it's all that egg peeling and I always end up with eggs that won't peel so it makes it that much more difficult. I usually put making the eggs off until the last minute just because I hate peeling them so much !!