Elder abuse

@nannacroc (4049)
In Britain a lot of older people are abused by their families and their carers. Does this happen in your country? How can it be stopped?
@dorypanda (1592)
I know it happens in England, I have signed a campaign by 'Help the Aged' to help put an end to it, I didn't have to pay anything, just sign it, I don't think it's about any more though. The trouble is, because it's an adult being abused no-one seems to have a problem with it, and that's just not good enough, some people just get to the end of their tether when they look after elderly relatives, if they could just have one day off from looking after them per week, the abuse wouldn't happen, well maybe not anyway.
@nannacroc (4049)
I can understand when people get to the end of their tether but some of the abuse is deliberate and systematic.
@RieRie (820)
Well my partners Mum has looked after her Mum for at least 20 years, if not more, she does get to the end of her tether, but she's never abused her Mum, she just gets upset, but she tries her best, but now her Mum is living with my partners Mums brothr & sister so she can have a well deserved break.
@pagli84 (1850)
• Netherlands
well, in afghan culture i dont think that would happen...afghan culture is very respectful to the older generation and, in most cases, the elderly live with their sons/daughters until they die. we dont send them to old folks' homes like they do in the US.
@nannacroc (4049)
It seems that in the western world people are too busy with their own lives to worry about the elderly. I think we could learn from your culture.
@luskas (3429)
• Portugal
Hum i guess a little all around the world... In Portugal that is news once or another... I guess many people think they┬┤re waste and forget that we all get older someday...
@nannacroc (4049)
I think you're right and some people forget how useful the experience of older people can be.
@sthacker (354)
Yes it does happen Here in America My Grandfather is in such a situation but my family has tried everything leagaly to get the person out of his life but it has not been taken care of . The laws in America depend on the state and some have better laws than others My States laws are not even close to being the best. The State of Califorina seems to have the best laws I have seen. Try to use the legal system but that does not always work .
@nannacroc (4049)
I hope you have success in helping your Grandfather. It's good that he has a caring family who are at least trying to help even if the law doesn't help you.
@sunrisekn (1467)
It happens in the United States also. Every so often you'll hear a story on the news about elder abuse. I can not believe that people can take advantage of people like that. I'm amazed at how low some people will go not to do their jobs and to get money. I guess that's because I am a pretty niave person and I like to think of the best in everyone.
@nannacroc (4049)
Some peoples behaviour towards others who they see as helpless is unbelievable. Luckily I think the nicer people are still in the majority.
@pumpkinjam (6749)
There are a few things, charities and such, which can help at-home carers and give them a break but they need more funding and more publicity. If people are deliberately abusing anybody, they should be stopped from looking after anybody and the person/people they "care" for should be able to go somewhere else like a refuge. The problems with that though are that not many people actually want to do that kind of work and the places they can go are often very poorly run. The only way to do anything about it would be to have strict enforceable rules and spot checks on all carers and homes.
@nannacroc (4049)
They already do so called spot checks but places are given a weeks notice so they can look good by the time the inspector arrives. Thanks for sharing some good ideas.
That's what I meant. They should do proper spot checks without warning.
@kennyDee (121)
• South Africa
old age is not a disease but another phase in the life of human being.It happens everywhere.Probably could be stopped if a law is promulgated to bring the perpetrators to book.
@nannacroc (4049)
I realise old age is not a disease and will come to all of us. The problem with the law is that by the time they believe it's happening it can be too late.