A Favoured Pen

Fountain Pen
@Ronrybs (8928)
London, England
A bit of a throwback in this age of compterised and AI augmented word processing, but when it comes to writing by hand you cannot beat using a fountain pen. There is something about the flow of the ink that seems to positively encourage writing. When I am at home I use a fountain for all my writing, even scribbling notes to myself. I have several pens to choose from, although the one in the picture is my Favourite. Fountain pens need to be used regularly or the ink will dry and cause a blockage. They also need a bit of maintenance every now and again. Not having the ease of use of a biro is one of their charms, I feel. You can spend a small fortune on one, but there is a range of cheaper alternatives. My one is modestly priced from Parker. Are there any other Luddites out there who enjoy the old fashioned art of writing in flowing ink?
Flowing ink was passe even when I was a kid and that was in the dark ages.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
I'm a traditionalist!
@Gillygirl (27039)
• Sutton, England
I used to enjoy using a fountain pen many years ago. I guess with advancing technology I have become accustomed to modern ways. I do remember good ones being very expensive.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
My friend has a Mont Bloc at around £200. My Parker cost around £40 and I really like it and have two spares!
@Gillygirl (27039)
• Sutton, England
@Ronrybs That is a huge difference.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
@Gillygirl I didn't even look at expensive pens, so who knows there may be some sort of difference in use, but I can' see it
@garymarsh6 (17280)
OH yes I am with you there. I used to write with a fountain pen all the time. What used to annoy me was when someone would ask to borrow it and I refused they became quite offended and personal about it The fountain pen should only be used by the owner and NO ONE ELSE. Even my colleagues would get quite obnoxious about it and yet you would think Doctors would be aware of this fact. Unfortunately in the end I had to stop using them at work as often I would drop the pen which damaged the tip. I still use one at home and much prefer it to biro pen.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
Very true, I never let my pens out of my hand, as you say it is hard to explain why I don't lend it out. I carried extra biros for other people to barrow.
@Ronrybs @garymarsh6 Right you are! Fountain pens are not for other people. You've reminded me of an old post I wrote on my fountain pen for the B site. I think I'm going to post it here, too.
@garymarsh6 (17280)
@MALUSE OH yes do. I love my pen and treat them as my own.
Only today I used my fountain pen. I attended a seminar at uni and wrote my notes with a fountain pen. Mine is a Pelikan.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
Nice, I've vaguely heard of them, but it looks like a slightly fatter barrel which I like. Nothing beats the flow of these pens
@Ronrybs I don't like the very slim barrels, either.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
@MALUSE My fat fingers like fat barrels!
@TheSojourner (21749)
I didn't know you could still buy them! I would love to be able to find one. Now that you've given me a brand-new damn of the Parker, I might be able to go and find one. If I can't find it at the Barnes & Noble, I might be able to find them online! What size tip do you prefer?
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
I got my pens from a stationary shop and from Amazon. I like the ones with a slightly fatter barrel, much more confortable
@Ronrybs I'll have to check out here. Might find them at an art store, too.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
@TheSojourner Our local art store stocks pens, so might be a better choice as you can try before you buy
• Preston, England
I prefer ball-point to fountain pens
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
Each to their own. I do use ball points, but when I am out and about.
• Preston, England
@Ronrybs I found messing with ink and cartridges messy
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
@arthurchappell To me, it is just another part of the charm!
@mayka123 (12816)
There was a time when I would collect all types of fountain pens and I had a nice collection of them. Then ball point pens came and I started collecting those too. Had to stop it after I got married. Unfortunately my brother threw out my entire collection.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
That's a pity, I used to have a large number of pens, but even the ball points dry out, with time. Now I just have a couple of, mixed, pens handy.
@mayka123 (12816)
@Ronrybs I too keep just a couple of them around now.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
@mayka123 I keep one close to chair, along with a note book for those essential scribbles!
You have a very neat handwriting ! I have a few of fountain pens,but haven't used them for ages.Now I use gel pens all the time.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
I was being careful when I wrote that list out! My mum prefers gel pens, but they always seem to leak when I use them!!
@Ronrybs My problem with gel pens is that no handwriting comes out sometimes .
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
@changjiangzhibin89 I have had that happen once, but I hadn't used the pen for a long while before that moment
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Yes Ron, you are a fine fellow to be writing with such a lovely pen. I remember the fountain pens very well and was very picky about which one I would write with when I was a child. I did a lot of my lessons in a fountain pen.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
I first went to school in the US and returning to the UK, when I was about nine in the mid 60s, was where I first met fountain pens and have loved them ever since
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@Ronrybs We are so lucky to have this experience with pens Ron. Truly think of the kids now ..they have no idea usually. Good you saw both sides of the ocean. I did too.
I use an ink pen daily.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
I do use the old ball point, but try to use my fountain pen a couple of times a day
I just buy a regular ink pen and use that.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
While I like fountain pens, I do carry a 'Space Pen, when I am out and about. It fits in a pocket and is handy for quick notes
@Lolaze (3984)
• St. Louis, Missouri
I like handwriting better but it makes my hand hurt. I’ve always loved those pens which are more like modern fountain pens - the ink just flows out instead of you feeling the ballpoint.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
I read a short book about improving your writing style. Have to say I was the pen wrong and using my fingers to move the pen. I know keep fingers still and using the wrist for movement. Took a while to get used to but it does help
oops, I read this as flavored pen and immediately thought of the scented markers I had as a kid I don't use pens like that very often, I've done some art/calligraphy with fountain pens but not in a while
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
My writing is pretty scrappy, but when I try to do neater writing I sometimes use an old dip pen. I have since lost the pen, which is no bad thing as I was always afraid of knocking over the ink well!
@CarolDM (25620)
I always had a favorite pen that I never let anyone borrow.
@Ronrybs (8928)
• London, England
For sure. I used to have extra biros at work to pass out, keep your hands off my fountain!