31 Day Writing Tips - Day 15

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Yesterday I wrote on character development. I'm going to continue with that thread as there is a lot more to write about than I focused on yesterday. Another part of character development deals with the number of characters in your story. Too many and you overwhelm the reader, too few and your story could lack interest. Though I have heard of a two-person story. Your secondary characters help your main character by supporting them in various ways. In Scarred, Jo-Ann has a moment of doubt and despair, despite her strong faith. Too much has gone against them, when Emalei reminds her that God is everywhere and encourages her. It's not the only time she finds encouragement. In order to have good character development in your secondary characters, you need to know them as well as you know your main characters. Don't shortchange them. Balance your secondary characters with your main characters and you will have a strong story. When it comes to the characters in your book, it isn't good to give several characters names starting with the same letter. It can bring about much confusion when it comes to who's speaking. You don't want to confuse your reader. I hope these tips are helping you as a writer. Thanks for reading.
@CarolDM (25209)
You are such a smart writer, thank you for sharing these tips.
You're welcome. I'm only passing on what I learned.
@FayeHazel (27836)
Interesting! It seems hard, at times to make the secondary characters well rounded too... and you had a good point - I was listening to a mystery and the names were similar so I had to keep wondering - (is this the person who had the jewellery stolen? or is the the biggots' wife?)
Yes, it can be confusing. When I started writing, I set out to make all my characters interesting with their own personalities. Now, it's second nature to me.
@FayeHazel (27836)
@just4him Ah yes, and writing about relationships (not just romantic) I would think it would be hard to describe friendships
@FayeHazel I have no trouble with describing friendships. Jo-Ann and Emalei are great friends.
Thanks for more tips on characterization development. I agree that characters should not begin with the same letter. I once read a book that became very confusing just because of that.
I think authors don't realize how confusing it can be when they come up with the names of their characters. I know I have two characters with the same letter in Thread of Evidence, but they are in no way confusing.
@just4him I'm sure you know how to make it possible.
@DianneN I did. There's no confusion. If there were, I would have changed the secondary name.
Great important tips to remember and do. Thank you.
You're welcome.
@1hopefulman (41037)
Good tip about making sure taht the names of the characters don't confuse the reader.
Thank you.
I fully agree about the too many characters, but I am fine with only a few characters in a story. I am reading one by Stephen King with only 4 main characters and it is so interesting I cannot stop reading.
I'm glad you find it interesting. Stephen King is a wonderful writer, and one I won't read because of his genre - thriller/horror. Though he does have a book I want to get my hands on about writing.
@LadyDuck I heard that one is very good. I'm glad Elevation isn't bad thriller/horror.
@just4him Elevation is about good neighborhood and trying to avoid to be racists and judgmental.
@simone10 (28132)
Once again, very good information!
Thank you.
@simone10 (28132)
@just4him you are very welcome! I look forward to reading these everyday.
@simone10 Thank you. I just posted today's writing tips.
@aninditasen (1880)
• Raurkela, India
It did help me as a freelance writer. Thanks.
I'm glad it did. You're welcome.
• Raurkela, India
@just4him Thanks will try to follow your tips.
@aninditasen You're welcome. I'm glad they're helpful.
@Nakitakona (1088)
This is a very good and helpful tips on writing a short story or a novel. I am sorry I miss the 14 days tips. I try to go back and read them.
Thank you.
@just4him You're welcome. I have already saved the other 14 writing tips for ready reference. Thanks for sharing them.
@Nakitakona You're welcome.
@ShifaLk (10259)
Great I have often read such articles or stories! What I must say) And got confused
It's easy to do.
@ShifaLk (10259)
@just4him yes, that's a great tip actually
@ShifaLk Thank you.
I never thought about the names, thanks!
You're welcome. I'm glad I can help.
@Gillygirl (26531)
• Sutton, England
More wonderful tips Valerie. I am bookmarking these. I think I have missed one and will go back to it.
Thank you. I'm glad they're helpful.
@xander6464 (12728)
• Wapello, Iowa
Secondary characters are very important. Sometimes they become bigger than the main character.
Yes, they do.
@garymarsh6 (17282)
More useful tips. Have you ever read war and Peace. It is an amazing book,. Once you have got your head around the characters that is. Initially you have to return to work out who was who but once you have that sorted the book is wonderful!
No, I haven't read it. I think the length always put me off more than the story. I've heard it's a wonderful story.