What did you have for dinner last night?

Walnut Creek, California
I seem to go in cycles when it comes to food. I'll become "addicted" to something, buy it every time I go shopping, and then get tired of it after a couple of months. Such is the case with Trader Joe's Mandarin Orange Chicken. It was one of my "staples" a couple of years ago. Then I moved on to Kun Pao Chicken. Then I went on an Indian kick. But the other night, I went back to my Mandarin Orange Chicken. It was quite good. My only mistake was in cooking the rice (also frozen and from Trader Joe's) in the same pan as the chicken. The rice picked up some of the olive oil I use as a "base" for most of my "cooking," and wasn't as fluffy and buttery as I would have liked. Next time I will use two pans. What did you have for dinner last night? And advice about how to "slightly improve" a simple "recipe"?
I dined on mac and cheese.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh heh. I did the same two nights ago! As with many of my "recipes," the directions were "Heat oven to 375, place product in oven, cook for 25 minutes." It was good. I'm getting more today. I get mine from Trader Joe's.
• Algeria
i have no idea what is mac and cheese
@akalinus (26493)
I like mac-n-cheese from the box now. I make it in two minutes in my instant pot. The pressure bakes the flavor into the macaroni. I love it but can't eat it too often.
I had a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner last night.
• Walnut Creek, California
Did it satisfy?
@TheHorse Yes, it did.
• Algeria
ohh that sounds amazing
I looked at this photo and immediately thought this was orange chicken from TJs ! We had leftover Buddha bowls . . . a copycat recipe from a supposedly "healthier" chain called Freshii. So btw, we finally got a bag of that TJ shade grown ground expresso - good stuff .
• Walnut Creek, California
Oh, I'm glad you like it! That stuff rocks my morning world.
@TheHorse Sometimes expressos can be overwhelming - but this is quite smooth . . . had some this morning, which is unlike us to have coffee at home on a weekday .
@CarolDM (24853)
I passed on dinner since I had a big lunch. I think rice can be good with the oil, but I also prefer fluffy rice.
• Walnut Creek, California
I love the diverse ways rice can be prepared. I really enjoy the buttery, fluffy rice they serve at Greek and Persian restaurants.
@CarolDM (24853)
@TheHorse Yes and I love all of the ones I have tried.
• Walnut Creek, California
@CarolDM I think I eat more rice than most Americans because I live in CA and get to eat a lot of Asian and Middle Eastern foods.
I made spaghetti and used real meat, had real pasta and even a slice of bread, I can be naughty like that. for dessert a little later, a bowl of ice cold sweet ripe watermelon.
• Walnut Creek, California
Sounds perfect to me. I haven't make my incredible spaghetti in a while.
@TheHorse It wasnt incredible this time, but was last time. I "was" eating zucchini noodle but I was burned out and wanted pasta.
• Algeria
omgg yess i really love that
@Lolaze (3937)
• St. Louis, Missouri
Peanut butter and some rice cakes. My head was hurting too bad last night to eat much.
• Walnut Creek, California
Got it. Is it sinuses (my nemesis) or migraine?
• Algeria
in mycountry we don't use Peanut butter at all
@FourWalls (18947)
Golf night, so I had dinner at the barbecue place not too far from the course. Pulled chicken and in-store made red potato salad. Oooh, was it good.
• Walnut Creek, California
Makes me want BBQ. I actually treated myself to steak LAST night.
• Algeria
omg !! lucky
@wolfgirl569 (15293)
• Marion, Ohio
We got KFC Hadnt had that for a couple of months.
• Walnut Creek, California
I "indulge" and go to KFC every couple of months or so.
• Algeria
i've never had that!!
@akalinus (26493)
I had tortillas cooked to crispy with butter melted on top and wrapped. They were maize. I get tired of stuff too. I just gave away a box of nutritional shakes because even though I loved them, I woke up one morning and did not want them anymore. I still have my chocolate ones which I like much better.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. Sometimes we love something and then get tired of it.
@akalinus (26493)
@TheHorse That is me. Then I don't know what to do with the leftover supplies. I put the box of shakes on the free shelf in the laundry and it is gone today. I hope it is a blessing to someone.
• Algeria
what is tortillas ???
@patgalca (15161)
• Orangeville, Ontario
That sure looks good! I don't cook very often for a few different reasons. Time, energy and not knowing if anyone will be home for dinner. I make more of an effort (sometimes) when my husband is working days or when I know for sure my younger daughter will be home. Hubby worked yesterday so I made spaghetti last night.
• Walnut Creek, California
Sounds good. How "scratch" was it. I start with bottled spaghetti sauce and "add" stuff to it. I guess that's my cooking method in general.
@patgalca (15161)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@TheHorse I fry up the ground beef, add fresh onions, then pour on the bottled sauce (Ragu). Then I add a bunch of spices (salt, pepper,garlic powder, oregano & basil) and let it simmer for a couple of hours (though I didn't let it simmer that long last night). The simmering (or even sitting not on the heat) gets those spices to bring out the flavour.
@TheHorse :( i presume ya aint got a big freezer 'r pantry space fer homemade sauce?
what??? they've frozen pre-cooked rice? oh my... anyhow, i fixed thick pork loin chops'n a cast iron skillet. browned 'em'n the stove 'n then put 'em (still'n cast iron skillet) 'nto the oven to finish cookin' (juicy'n tender'n the inside, nice crust'n the outside). the last 'f the purple green beans from the garden last year, a salad 'n cantaloupe. nary a clue's to how to aide'ja'n improvin' a simple recipe that's basically already cooked?? i reckon ya jest need to come home e'ery now'n then 'n jot these recipes down ;)
• Algeria
i dont eat pork
@didinedhia well, i reckon if'n ya come fer supper we'd need to come'p with somethin' more 'ppealin' to yer tastes :)
• Algeria
@Nevena83 (23267)
• Serbia
I do not eat much. For dinner, I had a pie with spinach.
• Walnut Creek, California
What kind of pie?
• Algeria
yes great choice
@Nevena83 (23267)
• Serbia
10h
@TheHorse I do not know how to explain, pie with spinach.
@Fleura (9489)
Rice is very simple to cook but it's amazing how many people mess it up. But I guess if it was frozen it was already cooked?
• Walnut Creek, California
It was already cooked, I assume. All you have to do is let it melt and then doctor it up. I put some butter on it, which was good, but it was a bit too oily to provide a perfect "contrast" with the orange chicken.
• Algeria
exactly rice is a legend
@1creekgirl (15586)
I made chicken rice soup that we had last night and then today for lunch. We're going out to dinner tonight for my husband's birthday. Our son in law gave us some gluten free cheese pizzas, so recently I cooked one after adding more cheese and some pepperonis. What a disaster! The cheese melted and dripped down on my oven. Never could get the crust crispy, finally put it in a frying pan and still wasn't good. How can a frozen pizza be so difficult? Please don't say it's me.
• Walnut Creek, California
I will not. But I admit that I only eat pizza when its offered to me and rarely cook it myself.
• Algeria
omg amazinggg!!!
@Thewings (3024)
I had egg curry with local bread
• Walnut Creek, California
Was it good?
@Thewings (3024)
@TheHorse yes it is very tasty
• Algeria
hmmm give me some please
@TheSojourner (21120)
I haven't had these chicken dishes from TJs. I do LOVE their macaroni and cheese with the Hatch chiles. I don't remember last night's dinner, but tonight I made a thai curry and salad. Shared the pictures tonight.
• Walnut Creek, California
I will check it out if I can. I;m on MyLot Jr. right now.
@TheHorse mylot Junior? I think I'm confused
I made a low carb crustless taco pie which was excellent! i am not on a low carb diet bit thought i would try this as it sounded good and turned out great! tonight is spaghetti and meatballs! i don't have a particular food i get addicted to it. I try to have a variety in foods that I eat!
• Walnut Creek, California
I just had steak and toast with avocado for lunch. Something new. It was wonderful!
22h
@TheHorse Was the avocado on the toast? or were they separated? What kind of steak? the steak sounds great! i never tasted avocado so can't say?
@mrki444 (2205)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
One big kebab very late at night.
I didn't have dinner last night because I had a big lunch. but my friend and I shared a Reese's cup, so that's sort of like dessert that chicken and rice looks very good!
I had meatloaf That I made last week and froze the leftovers. And a spinach salad with walnuts and pecans. And roasted beets from last year's garden. And roasted leftover potatoes also from last year's garden. Want all that garden produce used up!