Red Card for Excessive Superlatives

Image by Dmitry Abramov from Pixabay
@DWDavis (17524)
Pikeville, North Carolina
I am not much of a sports fan. I do, however, enjoy events such as the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup tournaments - men's and women's. Like the Olympics, the World Cups occur only once every 4 years. This summer the women's national teams have been competing for the Women's World Cup. As expected, Team USA has been doing well. As to the title of this post; it refers to the overuse of superlatives by the commentators when describing the players for each team. Anyone who understands futball knows these women are the best in the world. It is not necessary to add to each introduction that so-and-so is one of the best in the world at her position. If she wasn't, she wouldn't be playing in a World Cup match, especially for a team playing in the Round of 16. Despite my frustration with the commentators, I am still enjoying watching the tournament. Are you a futball (soccer for Americans who won't use the correct name) fan? Which team are you pulling for?
@arunima25 (22205)
• Bangalore, India
I am not but I have two sports enthusiasts in home who love most of the sports on this planet. And football is one of their favorite. My husband and elder daughter love it and don't miss any match of Men's football tournament. Maybe they still have to find their interest in women team. And trust me this has nothing to do with gender discrimination. [
@DWDavis (17524)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Women's futball has a hard time getting the recognition and respect it deserves the world over. Even here in the US where the women's team is far superior to the men's team, it is the men's team that gets all the money and backing while the women do all the winning.
@arunima25 (22205)
• Bangalore, India
@DWDavis I think it's sad but a worlwide phenomenon. In our country women are doing great with sports but still they don't have enough support and recognition.
Sorry I am not a fan of any sport.
@wolfgirl569 (17758)
• Marion, Ohio
I dont follow any sports.
@DWDavis (17524)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I used to follow NASCAR and the NFL. I've stopped both, for different reasons. Now, it's the Olympics and the World Cups, just a few weeks a year, with one year out of four off for good behavior.
@wolfgirl569 (17758)
• Marion, Ohio
@DWDavis I used to enjoy Nascar too. But its not the same without Earnhardt
@DWDavis (17524)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@wolfgirl569 I almost quit watching when we lost Dale. Kyle Busch and drivers like him are the reason I finally did quit. Drivers getting into fist fights, I can handle. NASCAR drivers who whine and fuss like spoiled brats, especially ones who didn't pay their dues but got their ride handed to them on a silver platter - no thank you.
Commentators are like that. I haven't watched but I have seen little headlines stating Team USA is doing very well.
@DWDavis (17524)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Team USA is through to the quarterfinals. They play France on Friday at 3pm EDT.
@DWDavis That's great they're doing so well.
I have been following it but have not watched the games, I do want to see the US play France. GO USA!!
@DWDavis (17524)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It's on Fox FS1 or FS2 on Friday at 3pm EDT.
@DWDavis Thank you I will make time to watch it.
I am not a soccer fan, but I can see how it would be annoying if commentators tell viewers what they already know again and again.
@DWDavis (17524)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I don't think these commentators realize how they sound, saying the same thing over and over.
@DWDavis I agree! Someone in the know should point out that flaw to those commentators.
@CarolDM (32026)
About the only sports I follow is college football.
@DWDavis (17524)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I quit watching football years ago when I learned that the owners, coaches, trainers, and team doctors had for years been covering up the truth about TBI caused by just playing the game. It doesn't even take a hard hit. Linemen from every level from Pop Warner up to the NFL have suffered permanent brain damage from the regular blocking at the scrimmage line. Coaches, etcetera, knew for decades and played guys with head injuries anyway. I'll never watch again.
@nela13 (21965)
• Portugal
I like to see international events just like you.
Commentators leave a lot to be desired sometimes.
No interest in sports at all.