A bit more about tongues

Bunbury, Australia
One of my last posts was about the different tongues that animals can have. Here is Part 2. The tongue of a 60 ton blue whale weighs three tons. The right whale uses its tongue like a scoop.The fastest tongue in the west (and the north, south and east) belongs to the giant palm salamander. It moves its tongue 50 times faster than a person can blink (so how did they measure it I hear you ask – I don't know). The tongue of the chameleon is covered in thick mucous and has a club-like structure on the end which acts as a suction cup. The tongue of the largest of the species is about two feet long. When not needed, the tongue is folded like an accordion. The alligator snapper turtle lies on a river bed with the mouth open wide and its red tongue wriggling like a worm. Fish become attracted and swim into the mouth. The alpaca and llama can only extend their tongues half an inch from the mouth. Tongues may be used for grooming. Some have small bumps which act like a rasp. Others have rows of backward facing hooked spines. The forked tongue of a snake acts as a communication instrument, picking up airborne scent particles from the world around it. Flamingos suck water through the front of the bill with their tongues then force it out through the sides. Aquatic crustaceans and algae are trapped by fringed plates on the tongue. I hope you found tongues as fascinating as I did. The photo is of a blue-tongued lizard which was outside our house. They are harmless. The open mouth is all threat. But isn't the tongue an unusual shape?
• Belews Creek, North Carolina
A tongue in cheek response might be appropriate here But for the life of me I can't think of anything witty right now.
Sometimes the muse deserts us, doesn't it?
@thelme55 (19463)
Amazing! Thanks for the information. I scrolled down past as I can´t see the photo.
I'll add it here for you.
@thelme55 (19463)
@JudyEv thanks. What I meant was that I feel goosebumps seeing photos of snakes and other relatives of those animals like crocodiles. I avoid seeing those animals online as I usually get nightmares after that.
@thelme55 Oh sorry! I'll try to remember that in future. Here is a much better photo to take your mind off the nasty one.
'tis amazin' all the adaptions there'd be jest fer tongues, eh? that blue-tongued lizard looks mighty spooky! yes ma'am, most fascinatin' fer certain. 'lways a good day when we learn new schtuff :)
Some animals have the most amazing adaptations. I really enjoy reading about them, then feel obliged to share what I've learnt on here.
@JudyEv don't they though?? i'm glad ya do share 'em with all 'f us folks, hon. love readin' yer discussions 's such's 'lways most informative.
Only down under are such funky creatures.
Other countries have some strange animals too. An armadillo is one.
@JudyEv Armadillos weird? Just creepy looking.
@JohnRoberts They are very strange looking if you are not familiar with them. lol
There sure are a wide variety of tongues out there in this world of ours. That blue tongue belonging to the lizard is a bit scary-looking.
It's a really strange tongue, isn't it?
@JudyEv It really is. The colors are amazing.
@JustBhem (56143)
• Davao, Philippines
Yikes! That tongue is, lol. Well, tongue can kill us too, it can spread a lot of rumours. Lol
That's for sure. We need to hold our tongue sometimes and not spread gossip.
@JustBhem (56143)
• Davao, Philippines
@JudyEv Exactly.
@sophie09 (8485)
how interesting! but look at its tounge
It does look scary which is good for the lizard as it means predators will hopefully leave it alone.
@sophie09 (8485)
@JudyEv wow okay i think that is unique
• Lenox, Georgia
That is a crazy looking tongue! These are very interesting facts.
Thanks. God's world is full of amazing things. :)
• Lenox, Georgia
@JudyEv I absolutely agree! =) I love all of His creation.
that is very obscene there.Ugh
Haha. Yes, I think you have described it well.
@Sojourn (5910)
Haven't seen such an odd looking tongue before. Read about so many tongues from the post.
You'd think a tongue would be a tongue but there are all sorts of different ones.