Progress!

@Fleura (10524)
United Kingdom
Following on from my post the other day about how I have finally learned to crochet, not only have I learned myself, at last, but I have also managed to teach both girls as well! After all these years! I am feeling ridiculously pleased about it, I’ve even got a piece of work in my pocket just in case I bump into a friend I can show it to – how sad is that? And now I’m going to show you as well : ) So now we are on a roll, making flowers for hair bands, squares to join into various things – I’m going to try some bunting next! All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2019.
They look great! Could you give me lessons?
@Fleura (10524)
Thanks! I learned a lot from this lady who gives good step-by-step tutorials, although for some reason I struggled to get started. Once I had someone point me in the right direction everything else suddenly made sense!
@Fleura That’s great. I should try something like that.
@Fleura (10524)
@DianneN Making things is SO satisfying : )
Those are cute, you attach the small squares together and you can make a blanket, or a pillow cover.
@Fleura (10524)
I think we need to make a plan before we end up with a random collection of squares dotted around the place!
@Fleura It is better, I made so many pot handles that I gave away most of them.
@Fleura (10524)
@LadyDuck I can imagine - it's easy to get a bit carried away!
i'm so glad ya did share such with's! they're jest lovely. what a bonus that'cha've e'en taught the girls :)
@Fleura (10524)
Thanks! Yes it's nice that it's something we can all do together as well, and making things is so satisfying!
@Fleura perhaps i need to come visit 'n see if'n y'all could teach me :)
@Fleura (10524)
@crazyhorseladycx You'd be very welcome : )
@Gillygirl (39803)
• Sutton, England
They look great, I would love to be able to crochet
@Fleura (10524)
I have wanted to for years, I just never understood the instructions. When they started with 'pull the yarn through the stitch' I'd go 'what stitch?' I just needed someone to show me how to get started. And I think it is easier than knitting, as people told me before.
@Gillygirl (39803)
• Sutton, England
@Fleura I must try, there was a wool shop locally used to offer free lessons but it closed down.
@Fleura (10524)
@Gillygirl The idea of 'knit and natter' sessions is quite popular at the moment, you might see one in a cafe somewhere and find someone who could show you.
They're very pretty.
@Fleura (10524)
Thank you!
@Fleura Those look like you've been doing it all your life. Well done!
@yoalldudes (11002)
Those are pretty. What else can be made from crocheting? Bags?
@Fleura (10524)
Yes bags, blankets, cushion covers, curtains, jackets, hats, gloves, socks, all sorts of decorative items...
@yoalldudes (11002)
I really love the colors of the first granny! You can make so many things out of granny squares and not just an afghan.
@Fleura (10524)
That's my daughter, she's very good with colours!
@Fleura I'd Say! That magenta pinkish purple color really makes it pop!
@LeaPea2417 (26909)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is wonderful. I can crochet some basic stitches and have crocheted a basic blanket.
@Fleura (10524)
Well done! I think once you understand the basics, then if you find a good guide (a book or online or whatever) you can try all sorts of different stitches. And if it goes wrong it's easier to undo it and pick up again than knitting!
@LeaPea2417 (26909)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Fleura That's true.
@Janet357 (30789)
i like those flowers, they are very cute.
@Fleura (10524)
Thanks! I am making some hair decorations for my daughter and her little friends!
@Janet357 (30789)
@Fleura oh that’s cute. Girls are more fun to decorate with something
@garymarsh6 (19609)
Very clever. I think my mum could crochet. My grand mother was an excellent seamstress a good all rounder really. My mother was pretty hopeless at sewing we used to plead with her never to sew our clothes but wait for grandmother to do it as the repair would be invisible whereas my mum only knew one stitch. Blanket stitch. (Says it all really doesn't it) Well done to you and yes be proud to show it off to whoever you want.
@Fleura (10524)
Thank you! I can knit as well - nothing fancy but ok with the usual stitches - and sew. I used to make a lot of my clothes when I was younger with more time and less money, but not so much now that charity shops have such good stuff and are so much more common and socially acceptable. But who knows what Brexit will bring, we might all be forced back to 'make do and mend'!
@louievill (22719)
It's very beautiful, I remember my mother and grandmother do a lot of those in the 60s, our old house in Manila had crochet curtains
@Fleura (10524)
Yes yu can certainly make some pretty lacy designs, I can imagine they would have been lovely!
I learned to crochet one of the times i tried to quit smoking. I did not stop then, but I made some beautiful bedspreads for everyone. I understand your pride
@Fleura (10524)
Well done, it's very satisfying isn't it? And did the efforts to quit smoking work too?
@Alexandoy (4144)
• Quezon City, Philippines
Crocheting was the in thing with the girls when I was in grade school. Since I have close friends with female classmates they taught me how to crochet.
@Fleura (10524)
I think it's a more useful thing to learn than the current craze for loom bands.
@simplfred (12289)
Nice hobby or are you doing it for business? Very artistic design...
@Fleura (10524)
No it's just for fun and personal satisfaction.
Well done, this is just the beginning of the fun. I have a great book of crocheted hats and I have made tons over the years. I taught a couple of my grandkids to crochet, one a boy and one a girl.