President Hoover and the First Lady spoke in Mandarin

Sometimes you just want a bit of privacy and in America's top high profile job, that's just not easy to come by. Lou Henry Hoover devised the best way of having private conversations with her Husband the President while under the scrutiny of advisors and the like. She simply spoke Mandarin, a language she and her husband both knew because of their previous residence in China. She also well versed in Latin and helped her husband translate a 16th century Encyclopedia of mining. Source : Wikipedia - Lou Henry Hoover
@Deepizzaguy (23620)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I did not know that former President Hoover and his wife knew hot to speak Mandarin.
They stayed in China for a few years between 1899-1901.
@Deepizzaguy (23620)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@ScribbledAdNauseum I did not know that since it was not in the history books that I read in school.
@Deepizzaguy I don't really recall it being in mine either.
That is very interesting. A good way to keep conversations private.
Extremely! There may be more people in America that know Mandarin now but at that time I am sure there were very few who even knew what language they spoke.
@ScribbledAdNauseum that is cool.
@Alexandoy (4144)
• Quezon City, Philippines
Mandarin is a very difficult language to learn because the intonation and accent greatly matters in the meaning.
Yes, I've heard that you can say a completely different word just by altering the inflection. She and her husband lived in China in the late 1800's, she would have had to learn with private lessons or juts by going around the streets of the city.
@Alexandoy (4144)
• Quezon City, Philippines
The only Chinese words I know are Nihaw-ma and Sheesheh.
• Hangzhou, China
Hoover,is that loser who took the power in 1929?we learned about the America History,it said his reform is totally a catastrophe that almost ruined USA,people lost their jobs,the economy collapsed,everything is just in the hell I never know Hoover's wife would speak Mandarin,it's not a easy language to learn.Even for me,who have written the Chinese poems for 14 years,i still can't say that i am proficient in Mandarin. Especially the Ancient literature and poem,even for the Native speaker,it's also very difficult and hard to understand
I don't actually remember my history when it comes to Herbert Hoover as it's been years since I've been in school. Yes, I've learned that there are very many words that are similar and require just a change in the way you say them to mean something totally different. I am not sure if she was ever taught to write in Chinese but I imagine she may have been.
@franxav (6405)
It's to good way to keep your secrets to yourself.
Sometimes the best way to keep them is to not speak them at all.
It is always interesting to speak a language that the others cannot understand.
Especially one as difficult to learn as an Asian language.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I think that Asian languages are too difficult to learn if you do not live there.
@LadyDuck Yes, it has to be a hands on language, one that you hear every day. I've watched several youtubers who have expressed that it was the easiest way they learned it.
smart idea. i tried to learn Chinese once but it so hard. i really want to learn how to write it
I am not even sure if all Chinese Nationals know how to write in their own language. The symbols seem to be very hard.
@ScribbledAdNauseum i never thought if whether the Chinese Nationals can write it. it is extremely hard and i never got very far in it though i bring out the book every few years to try it
@Marty1 I think I wanted to learn it at one time but I am more interested in Celtic languages now. (Welsh, Irish, Scots Gaelic, Briton, Manx)
Talking in Mandarin to each other was a good way to have privacy.
Especially back then when I am sure not many knew Mandarin.