An odd childhood memory that I HAD to sort out!

Walnut Creek, California
A certain MyLot friend of mine (who will of course remain nameless, in the interest of confidentiality and respect) enjoys the vary occasional Martini. I drink more wine than Martinis, but I could easily be persuaded to drink a Martini. I found my memory activated and remembered that my parents went through a stage of a few years where they drank Martinis in the evenings. Perhaps one or two, but never more than four, except on special occasions. But then the name "Gibson" came into my head, and I saw the image of a cocktail onion.. I asked my Martini-sipping MyLot friend if there was such a thing as a "Gibson," and she wasn't sure. So I looked it up. My childhood memories were correct. Plus I learned something new! Here's the scoop: The Martini's savory second cousin, the Gibson, uses a pickled cocktail onion in place of the typical briny olive to add an umami undertone to the classic cocktail. The Gibson is believed to have been created by San Francisco businessman Walter D.K. Gibson in the late 1800s, who thought that eating onions prevented colds, hence the addition of the mini allium." --Liquor.com What did I learn? Well, I hadn't known own that some late 19th Century people thought that cocktail onions prevented colds. But I also learned (actually I already knew) that kids' memories of their adults' antics can be pretty accurate, so you have to be on your "best" behavior around them!
What does 'umami' mean? Doesn't sound English to me.
• Walnut Creek, California
It sounds Japanese to me. Here's what I could find: noun: umami a category of taste in food (besides sweet, sour, salt, and bitter), corresponding to the flavor of glutamates, especially monosodium glutamate.
@TheHorse I can't remember ever eating pure monosodium glutamate. So I'm not any the wiser.
@LindaOHio (40774)
@MALUSE Umami is a savory taste and is one of the basic tastes along with sweet, sour, salty and bitter. Very close to what The Horse told you.
Interesting! I prefer mine.
• Walnut Creek, California
Have you ever had a martini or a Gibson?
@TheHorse Both and a Manhattan.
@LindaOHio (40774)
I don't like martinis; and the onions would seal the deal for my not having one! Yes, memories of our parents can be quite distinct and accurate.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. But sometimes they can be "false" as well. I read a book by a cognitive psychologist named Elizabeth Loftus about that. It was called "The Repressed Memory Myth," or something like that. An interesting book.
@LindaOHio (40774)
@TheHorse Sometimes I'll have weird dreams about my parents; and I've often wondered if I've repressed those memories.
• Walnut Creek, California
@LindaOHio Some could be true. But some could be "constructed," or the stuff of dreams and fantasy. I don't know if there's a definitive way to tell which is which (except for things like historical records, like who was where and when). I have some others I could write about. Sometimes the grown-ups can be quite wrong about what a child was FEELING in a given situation.
@wolfgirl569 (30934)
• Marion, Ohio
Never heard of that drink. Yes kids remember things you dont want them too.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh heh. I try to be on good behavior when I'm around kids.
@CarolDM (83310)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Never drank a martini. The Gibson memory stuck because of the guitar perhaps.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. That may have helped.
Learned a few things here today, thanks.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh heh. Never know what you'll learn on MyLot.
• Japan
I would think, being the Horse, that a Gibson would be a guitar.
• Walnut Creek, California
Hmm. Maybe that's why my first "expensive" guitar WAS a Gibson. But now I'm more into Martins, Collings, and Larrivee.
@Ecoy41 (2301)
I don't drink any though but I love to try give a chance.
• Walnut Creek, California
Wait until you're older and it doesn't matter.
Haha nice to know about it although never tried it
• Walnut Creek, California
I rarely drink gin or vodka. But my memories of childhood days are pretty clear.
I missed your post, correct a Martini Cocktail (Gin and Vermouth Martini) with two little onions is a "Gibson", a Martini where you add a little water from the olives is called a "Dirty Martini". I had a Gibson yesterday evening and tomorrow I go to Italy to buy a bottle of "Dry Martini Vermouth", because it is almost empty the one I have.
@FourWalls (26303)
• Louisville, Kentucky
My favorite song of his is “Memories Are Made of This.” Wait, that’s Martin, not Martini. I don’t know if it’s just cocktail onions rumored to help colds, because I heard “tales” from my grandmother of using onions in her kids’ Room to help their colds (and there were five of them).
I didn't even know there was such a thing as cocktail onions . I think I could see why they would think it prevented colds - but I wouldn't know that it really would (maybe a cocktail garlic would do it).