Treatment drug for corona has arrived, with a price...

@JohnKu (398)
Gilead, California-based pharmaceutical company has announced the price for their approved antiviral drug for coronavirus a few days ago. Remdesivir, the name of the drug will be sold for $390 per dose for wealthy countries, while less fortunate countries will be able to buy the drug for a lower price. Considering the current global condition and the dire needs for corona treatment, I think it would be wise to make the drug more accessible and possibly free for all. What do you think about this?
@myklj999 (44628)
Actually that is not quite correct...it is $390 per to the U.S. government and one hell of a lot more for private individuals
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/gileads-coronavirus-treatment-remdesivir-to-cost-3120-for-us-insured-patients.html
@JohnKu (398)
Thanks for the correction, seems I missed some point there.
@myklj999 (44628)
@JohnKu "The majority of patients treated with remdesivir will receive a five-day treatment course using six vials of remdesivir, the company said." So multiply that amount times 6...ouch
@JohnKu (398)
@myklj999 Yeah, that's quite a sum.
@m_audrey6788 (31765)
We are still not sure how effective it is because why corona still rising in their place?
@myklj999 (44628)
It is a treatment for the disease, not a vaccine against it. It won't stop new cases from happening.
@myklj999 Oh ok. Is it really effective?
@myklj999 (44628)
@m_audrey6788 I haven't read any of the literature on it yet
@Lavanya15 (6067)
• Chennai, India
I also read news about it. For next three months production completely go for America. Because America already placed order.
@JohnKu (398)
Yup, the bought all the stock already.
@Lavanya15 (6067)
• Chennai, India
@JohnKu yes my friend. But don't know how much success they get.
• Walnut Creek, California
A noble sentiment. But the almighty dollar rules.
@JohnKu (398)
Sadly true. Oh well at least we got something, it's better than nothing at all.
@Adie04 (6330)
That's..... Too expensive.
@JohnKu (398)
Agree. I don't even dare to imagine just how much a corona vaccine will cost us in the future.
@Adie04 (6330)
@JohnKu um.. I rather just practice social distancing, wear mask and wash hands. For free.
Expensive, eh? This is why I rather avoid getting the covid than expecting a vaccine.
@JohnKu (398)
Sadly, looking at how fast the virus can spread all over the world I'm not sure if we can continually avoid it.
It seems the US is buying up a lot of the supplies but I hope it is useful. The world is badly in need of a treatment for the virus.
• Israel
@JohnKu That would be great if it could be free for all, but, I do not think they will do that.
I saw it on the news a couple of days ago and thought they were making it impossible to use the vaccine. Considering the pandemic, it should be accessible to everyone.
@SHOHANA (11313)
• Bangladesh
The price is not reasonable as needy people may can't afford it