The New Neighbors are Extremely Noisy!

@moffittjc (87890)
Gainesville, Florida
But first, let me clarify. Not human neighbors, but bird neighbors. It seems a pair of cardinals have moved into the neighborhood. From the best I can tell, they have made a nest (or at least are living) in a thick shrub behind my bedroom window. What's great about their choice of home is that it's right next to my neighbor's bird feeder, so these two cardinals have pretty much claimed the feeder as their own personal buffet. Since the cardinals have moved in, I have not seen any other birds using the feeder. So I guess it belongs to the cardinals now. Except the squirrels have something to say about that. Actually, they don't say anything, they just scoot up the pole of the bird feeder and chomp away at all the seed and nuts. It's the cardinals who have something to say about it. Every time a squirrel helps itself to the abundant seeds in the bird feeder, the two cardinals go nuts, and sit there in the bush or on the ground under the bird feeder yelling at the squirrels. And of course, being right by my bedroom window, I hear all of it. Especially early in the morning when I'm trying to sleep. And it's driving me crazy! I hope the cardinals and squirrels learn to get along and share the food in the bird feeder (there is plenty for everybody) so that those noisy birds will hush and allow me some peace and quiet. If not, I may have to capture them, box them up, and mail them to @CarolDM so they can live in her backyard. Do you have any noisy neighbors?
@gr8nana6 (6147)
• Hamilton, Ohio
I wish I had some cardinals around here, but there are no trees around. Hope they get a little more quiet for you, if not I'm sure @CarolDM won't mind
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
Right now their incessant chirping is annoying, but I'm sure that I'll get used to it in a few more days and probably won't even notice it anymore.
From my experience, cardinals can be so bossy and they do feel that they own EVERYTHING!
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
Which one is the brightly colored red one, the male or female? Whichever one is the brightly colored one here is the boss.
@moffittjc The male is red. He and his wife had a nest in one of our backyard bushes. Oh sure, go near the bush, he starts yelling. Walk away from the bush, he flies to a nearby tree and continues yelling.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 Haha, he wants to make sure you get the message loud and clear.
Be sure and put holes in the box so they can breath.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
Oh I will be sure to take good care of them! I wouldn't want anything to happen to them when I mail them off to Carol.
@ShyBear88 (37605)
We have noisy animal neighbors too. I’d course we live next to the woods so some times we get all kind go animal. Right now we have raccoons that like to knock the trash over. I got tired of it so started to get up at 6:30am to put the trash out.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thankfully, I haven't seen raccoons around here, so at least that's one thing we don't have to contend with. But my house backs up to woods as well, so we do get a lot of noisy critters. After a good hard rain, it sometimes sounds like there are 10,000 frogs out back croaking away. And over the past two weeks, I've heard a very noisy pair of owls at night.
@ShyBear88 (37605)
@moffittjc yep we get frogs some times. I’ve almost stepped on a few during the summer at night.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ShyBear88 The worst is either when I come home at night, or leave early in the morning before the sun comes up, and there are frogs all over my front door or front walkway!
@CarolDM (88265)
• Nashville, Tennessee
How lucky to be the chosen one by these special cardinals. I would love that! The birds like the entire yard to themselves, especially if they have babies.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
Isn't it kind of late for them to suddenly show up and nest I was wondering about that. It seems that they have appeared within the last week.
@CarolDM (88265)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@moffittjc Not really. Most of mine have left the yard but it they still have plenty of hot weather.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CarolDM Where do they go when they leave your yard? Are they migratory birds? I don't recall seeing cardinals here on a year-round basis.
@nela13 (35451)
• Portugal
Birds can be noisy sometimes. We don't have cardinals here so I have no idea about its behavior.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have a pair of cardinals I would be happy to mail to you, and then you could have some cardinals where you live!
@nela13 (35451)
• Portugal
@moffittjc poor birds, they already have their nest near your home
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@nela13 I'm going to start charging them rent for building their nest in my bush.
I live in what I call a jungle, but it's a nice racket to wake up to. I love it!
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
Don't we all live in a jungle Dianne! Some made of concrete, some made of trees! haha
@moffittjc That's true!
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN Personally, I prefer the animals of the forest jungle more than I do the animals of the concrete jungle.
I'm sure it can get very noisy especially when you want/need to sleep. I'm sure @CarolDM is already preparing a place for them.
@CarolDM (88265)
• Nashville, Tennessee
You are so right, I have a place!
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CarolDM Excellent! Now I just need to find the right size box, poke some air holes in it, and ship those cardinals off to you to live their lives in peace!
@CarolDM (88265)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@moffittjc Would love that.
@RubyHawk (37818)
• Atlanta, Georgia
The. Cardinals will never shut up and the squirrels will never stop stealing their food. My sister told me today that she found a remedy for robber squirrels. She greased the pole that holds up her bird feeder with shortening. Now the squirrels slide right off the pole.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
I thought about that this morning. My neighbor put up squirrel deterrents on her bird feeder, but the squirrels found ways around them, which involves them leaping from a tree about 5 feet away onto the pole. I watched them this morning, and then thought to myself that the ultimate way to stop them would be to grease the pole.
@RubyHawk (37818)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@moffittjc She says it works. But she said squirrels keep trying to climb up, they leave fur in the grease .
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@RubyHawk Does she have to re-grease it on a weekly basis, or every now and then?
• Israel
@moffittjc I guess they have not learned to play together. That is too bad that they make all that racket so you cannot sleep. I have a human neighbor that lives right above us and makes lots of noise whenever he sees fit. He is a miserable old coot.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
Upstairs neighbors are the worst. Years ago, when I lived in an apartment, I had an upstairs neighbor who I swear was dropping bowling balls on his floor (which would have been my ceiling) all day long. It drove me nuts. I also had another upstairs neighbor who thought it was acceptable to vacuum her carpet every night at 3:00am.
• Israel
@moffittjc You have bad ones like me. I had a couple before this one and they were really bad, but, he is worse than them. He can get up and leave, but, he will. Sometimes I feel maybe he is dropping a bowling ball on the floor too. He loves to drag his furniture and loves to make noise whenever he wants to and slam doors.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Hannihar I had a downstairs neighbor once, and girl who lived by herself. She was constantly slamming doors all day long. I'd sit there thinking, "you live by yourself. Why are you even opening and closing the doors inside your house?" I could never figure out why she was always slamming doors.
@thelme55 (48212)
Yes, I have sometimes noisy neighbors. We have trees across our apartment and I think some birds are nesting. I love the sounds of the birds chirping but not when I am going to sleep or early in the morning when they are so alive and noisy. We sleep with an open bedroom window so I have to get up and close the window when the birds are so loud.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
My bedroom window is closed and the bird outside is still loud, so I can imagine how much louder it must be for you with the windows open.
@thelme55 (48212)
@moffittjc Yes, it is indeed very loud with an open window. Have a nice Monday to you.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@thelme55 Thank you, it's been a busy, yet productive, Monday for me. I hope you had a nice Monday too.
@simone10 (51426)
We have two sets of cardinals and whenever they land to check around for food, any other birds fly away. They don't make any noise except for the sweet little call the pair coo to each other. Now crows are another story. We have a lot of them, and they are huge, about the size of a small cat. Once one starts, they all chime in. Fortunately, they don't nest in the tree beside our apartment, so they don't wake me up.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
Every now and then we'll get some crows, but since there are two hawks living here nearby, the crows stay away for the most part. But you're right, when one crow gets to making racket, they all do.
@simone10 (51426)
@moffittjc Are the squirrels and cardinals still fighting?
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@simone10 I wouldn't call it fighting. It's more like arguing. haha And yes, the male cardinal still yells at the squirrels when he sees them eating from his bird feeder.
I immediately thought to "animals" reading your title. We have very noisy magpies and cuckoo birds, I hate them, I really hate them.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
I haven't quite gotten to the "hate" stage yet, but if these birds stay here for a while and continue making their annoying chirping every morning, then I will soon be at the "hate" level along with you.
@moffittjc The cuckoo birds has the exact sound of the cuckoo clock, when they start they go on and on for hours, they drive me crazy.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck Oh, that would drive me crazy too! I can handle a 5 or 10 second cuckoo on a clock, but not over and over for hours at a time!
You do not like your new alarm clocks ? Our alarm clocks seem to be those mocking birds - not even song like - it's more like squawking.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
If that alarm clock would just reset itself to about an hour later, I wouldn't mind so much! lol
@moffittjc I guess you have to wait for daylight savings to end .
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@much2say Please don't tell me that....it's a long way off! lol
No noisy neighbors here. I don't think we have many cardinals around here, at least not in my yard. Though they would be welcome! we have a ton of robbins that I love!
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's nice that it's peaceful and quiet where you live. Most of the time, it's that way here too. It's just recently that these cardinals have moved in.
@moffittjc it is not totally quiet because we do have some birds but they don't sing really loudly, it is more like in the background. be happy your yard must be hospitable if they want to make a nest in it!
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marty1 I don't mind background singing by the birds. But chirping loudly under my bedroom window at sunrise is not background noise! haha
@Tina30219 (56258)
• Onaway, Michigan
Not really any noisy neighbors here we have it pretty good here.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
You're pretty lucky. For the most part, I haven't had any issues with human or animal neighbors, until these cardinals moved in. They weren't noisy this morning, so maybe I'm either getting used to them or they have learned to tolerate the squirrels.
@Tina30219 (56258)
• Onaway, Michigan
@moffittjc They sure do.
@kareng (29124)
We used to have a mockingbird that sat on a tree limb outside our bedroom window at our house in LA that started his song at around 5:30 am and didn't shut up until around 9 am. It was okay during the week when we had to get up and go to work but weekends was annoying! Good luck there buddy!
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
I got lucky this morning. The cardinals didn't wake me. Either they were quiet, or I'm starting to get used to them.
@kareng (29124)
@moffittjc I never got used to the Mockingbird so if that is the case, kudos to you! However, I think their song is a bit different too. The mockingbird sounded like he/she was raising he!!
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kareng I didn't hear the cardinals in the morning, but I heard them around lunchtime. It sounded like they were raising holy hell outside. I guess the squirrels must have gotten too close to their nest or something. Also very interesting, yesterday afternoon, just before sunset, I heard two owls somewhere outside my backyard calling to each other. They were loud as all could be!
@JESSY3236 (12979)
I do have some birds that are noisy. But I haven't been hearing them lately. But Lily has been noisy lately. She was meowing a lot on Saturday. She really wanted to go outside. I wasn't feeling good. I didn't want her to go outside.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
So you normally let her go outside?
@JESSY3236 (12979)
@moffittjc yeah I do unless it's raining or wet outside like today. Usually if I let her out on a wet day, she won't spend but a few minutes outside and come back in.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JESSY3236 My cats never cared. If they wanted out, they wanted out. Didn't matter if it was raining or not.
It gets quite loud in my yard at times. Sometimes it sounds like music when all of the critters are talking at one time.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
Does it prevent you from falling asleep at night, or does it wake you up super early in the morning when you're trying to sleep in?
@moffittjc I’ve been blessed that it hasn’t caused any sleep problems.
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Tampa_girl7 Lucky for you! I haven't had any problems with the noise stopping me from sleeping, it's just waking me up much earlier in the morning than I care for.
@LindaOHio (43353)
I love the sounds of birds. Squirrels usually take more than their share of seed. Most people try to keep them out of the bird feeders. Sorry the cardinals are keeping you awake. Have a great Friday!
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
I would love the sound of the cardinals if they would wait about one extra hour before they started chirping away incessantly.
@LindaOHio (43353)
@moffittjc lol They want you to be up and at 'em!
@moffittjc (87890)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LindaOHio Apparently so. I don't mind getting up super early as long as I know to go to bed earlier! haha