Parting Ways

There are things in my apartment I know I need to part with. Five years after my mother died, I still have things of hers I need to go through. It's better than it was, but I really need to figure stuff out for the sake of organization. I was keeping some of her things in the back of my SUV, but my dad accidentally threw some of that away a year ago. He meant well, and I had to let that go even if it was upsetting at the time. It's not that there is a ton of stuff, it's just that my apartment is too small for much in the first place. How long does it take for you to go through things people give you, or if they pass away, how long does it take for you to go through it? It just feels wrong almost to give away anything that was hers.
For each it's different. I look at it this way now, my deceased people would want the thing's used and not laying around rotting
Very true.
@yoalldudes (23193)
Oh my, this is heartbreaking. I dont know the answer also. Maybe some time for grieving, then take pictures so you can let go. Or just keep one or two of the most meaningful possession.
Its different for each relationship. I still have a ring that my grandfather gave to me after my grandmother passed. I wasn't as close to her as I was to him. Him giving it to me helped me realize that he looked at me as an adult. I have nothing of my Dad's, he passed away 11 years ago. I cherish the photo I have of him. You take as long as you need to let go of things, and do not feel bad about that length of time.
Thanks, Julia.
@AmbiePam You're welcome.
I know that you and I have discussed this a little bit already. I still have a few things of my mom's that I just need to get rid of. It can be so hard just getting rid of things because we have emotional attachment to them. I've been getting rid of things a lot lately, and still need to go through some books that I will never read and donate them. I have two boxes on the floor that are just junk and I need to chuck it, but yeah.. sometimes it's just difficult.
My mom's books are the last thing (besides pictures) my dad has kept of hers, and he has asked my sister and I to go through them and take what we want, and he'll donate the rest of them. That's going to take a long time because she had hundreds.
@CarolDM (87078)
• Nashville, Tennessee
I have many things boxed up for donation.
I have a hard time getting rid of stuff and going through papers. I have been in a mood to clear things out for a while, but there is always more stuff.
I have my mothers stuff after 8 years
• Leesburg, Georgia
It would take me a bit, especially if they passed away.
@sophie09 (19001)
This will be a hard thing to do
@edisondanila (30264)
I understand what you feel my friend.
@KristenH (29865)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Hugs Amber. I've been in your shoes 6.5 years ago. A lot of my mother's stuff and furniture went out of the window. I kept about 5% as keepsake mementos. With my brother's help, it took us two to three days. Then last December, we did another round, which took us maybe two hours to empty my closets except for my mother's X-mas stuff. Not much was given away either.
Thank you, Kristin. I know you understand.
I keep the heirlooms that I know my ancestors would want me to hand down to future generations. Thank the lord I have grandkids.
@LoriAMoore (4631)
• Louisville, Kentucky
16h
I'm not very sentimental, so I was able to do it immediately, but each person is different.
16h
I wish I was more like that.
@simone10 (50490)
My brother and I have a charm bracelet of our Mom's. It's old and very outdated and I would never wear it, but we won't ever get rid of it either.
Parting with things that will help us remember thaf person is hard. But the most important thing is fo cherish the memories we have and keep it in our hearts forever.
I have many things that belonged to my parents and a table that belonged to my grandparents. Some things can't be parted with.
I guess the keepsakes and mementos that are really important to you you should keep.
@gr8nana6 (5648)
• Hamilton, Ohio
It is different for each individual, just go at it one day at a time.
My late father things are still with us. Even if we move to another house, we still keep them.
@LindaOHio (42666)
For each person it's different. We had a ton of stuff from my husband's parents. Eventually he let go; and I was able to donate boxes and boxes of items. Have a good weekend.