The Day of The Beet

One fall, I went to a Chef's presentation on tomatoes. He made and served us Bruschetta, Bloody Mary, Bolognese, Capris Salad, and a Tomato Strawberry Tart. He also gave us the recipes. I still use his Bolognese recipe with my garden tomatoes. Today, I followed his idea, only with beets. I have a lot of beets in the garden still. I made a beet Smoothie. It also had carrot, apple and ginger. I followed that with Borscht (beet root soup. We also had a beet salad with feta, onion, olives and dressing. I followed that with chocolate cake. Most of the fat is replaced by mashed beet. I have made it with apple sauce, and pumpkin puree; it is good with any of them. What else can I make with beets today?
I think you've covered it all. Your hands must look as if you're a mass murderer!
It wears off quickly!
@myklj999 (47917)
One fall, I went to a Chef's presentation on tomatoes. How did you do them? Did you eat them, smoke them, or snort them? I've heard you get the best buzz smoking them.
Ate them, and drank them.
@myklj999 (47917)
@owlwings Have you ever noticed the resemblance between tomato sprouts and cannabis sprouts?
@owlwings (42937)
• Cambridge, England
@myklj999 They are a little alike, I guess. Stinging nettle flower buds are similar, too.
@owlwings (42937)
• Cambridge, England
Are you one of the Beet Generation? I was actually brought up to believe that there was only one thing you could do with beet. That was to twist the tops off and throw them on the compost, boil them to within an inch of their lives, peel them, slice them, douse them in vinegar and eat them with cold meat. In fact, of course, there are so many more things they are good for (not to mention eating the young leaves in a salad). They don't have a lot of flavour of their own but they do have a lot of sugar and a useful texture (and, of course, the colour). You can make a pretty good spicy pickle with them and you can also make quite a good jam provided that you marry them with a good flavour such as orange or ginger. You can also roast them whole along with other root vegetables and squashes with a good sprinkling of warm spices, such as cumin and coriander. They also work well with sharp, acid things like feta (oh, I see that you did that). What about beetroot and plums or any sharp fruit like that? I have difficulty imagining what a tomato strawberry tart would be like. I shall have to try it!.(I have found a recipe).
I think the tart tasted like strawberry, really. Here is his recipe if you can read it. He made a Brown Butter Crust from a Martha Stewart lemon Tart recipe. I pretty much grew up with just boiled beets. And I don't remember my mom using the leaves. Hubby has made beet pickles too. Maybe we should make more. Maybe, I will roast some tomorrow.
@owlwings Great! Thanks.
I haven't done much with beets besides roasting them . I've never known beet to be a fat substitution in baking - interesting - I guess with chocolate, the color wouldn't matter!
There are some old chocolate cake recipes using beets. This recipe actually calls for apple sauce, but I find mashed anything works. The flavour comes from cocoa and coffee.
@paigea I wonder if it makes the chocolate cake any more nutritious ? That'd be a good sneaky way to put beets in the family's diet .
@much2say It might add a tiny bit of nutrition, plus using mashed beet/fruit reduces the fat a lot.
I like the beet salad with feta, onion, olives and dressing
I will make that again. Nice to take for lunch.
Wow! You are doing so many things with beets already
Felt like a project today.
I bought beets, I know I should not eat them because my kidney stones problems, but I like. I had one and I immediately did not feel well. I wonder what to do with the two I still have. The Caprese salad (from the city of Capri) is very popular in Italy, mozzarella, tomatoes, salt, pepper, olive oil and basil leaves. I had it yesterday.
I love the Caprese salad with our tomatoes. Unfortunate that you can not have beets.
@paigea I am so sad about the beets, because I love the taste. I decided to slice my beets, dehydrate and use them to dye some cakes, or the marinated ginger for the sushi.
@LadyDuck That is a good use
@moonandstars (43168)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
not sure. i only eat it as salad and pickled/sour one
How do you make your beet salad?
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@paigea i forgot it. it's only pickled version so, no salad
What about pickled beets? Beets are very good for you. I wish I liked them more.
I have made pickled beets. Might make some. Too bad you couldn't find a way to like beets. I really like the borscht.
@paigea I do like borscht and pickled beets are OK.
@snowy22315 That is enough to like.
I often eat beet salad with lots of lemon and coriander.
Do you shred the raw beets, or are they cooked? When you say coriander, do you mean leaves or seed?
@paigea Cooked. And they are cilantro leaves.
@marguicha Thanks. That sounds simple and good.
I love beets, too! Hubs doesn't, so more for me.
True. More for us.
@paigea That’s right!
@florelway (14184)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
I used beets in my fried rice.
Sounds good
@florelway (14184)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@paigea yes it is.
You made a chocolate cake with mashed beet? Oh my! I'm glad you like beets. I am not a fan of beets. They're my most hated vegetable.
More for me! Beets are not noticeable in chocolate cake. Just add moisture. Beet pancakes for breakfast today. ( Same idea as potato pancakes)
@paigea I'm glad you enjoyed them.
@Nakitakona (34867)
You mention bruschetta. I remember I have eaten that several times as a snack in a party I attended.
It really is nice.
@Nakitakona (34867)
@paigea yes I like it.
@JimBo452020 (22143)
• Montrose, Scotland
In some areas of Scotland, some people put Beets on their feet!!!
What do those beets look like?
@JimBo452020 (22143)
• Montrose, Scotland
@paigea Boots
@bunnybon7 (46596)
• Holiday, Florida
13h
not sure but sounds like you have found a lot of ways for it. I normally love beets but they don't agree with me for some reason
12h
That is unfortunate that the disagree with you.
14h
I am a fan of pickled beets
14h
We have made them
@dgobucks226 (23846)
Easy on the beets. Too much can cause your pee to become pink! You are eating healthy with beets a great source of nutrients, including fiber, folate and vitamin C. Beets also lower blood pressure
Yikes, my blood pressure is low enough! I don't care what colour appears in the toilet
've not eaten many beets'n my lifetime, though i plead laziness ('gnorance?) to their many uses. sure didn't know ya could use such fer cakes'n thingies. makes sense though 'fter readin' such. wonder what i could sneak 'em 'nto that the hubs'd consume?
Chocolate cake is the only place I can think of to hide them. Hubby likes plain boiled beets. I am the one who likes to dress them up in various ways
• Austin, Texas
It's funny. I know beet is good for you. At one time I used to eat them because there was this salad bar at a cafeteria that I liked and they served beets. My mother-in-law believed in beets. But lately I have not been eating them. I think it's because my daughter started making the grocery list and she never put beets on the list and I never think of them when I'm at the store. Still! I do know the health value of beets. But I'm not that creative when it comes to recipes.
My husband likes them boiled with salt and pepper. No need for creativity.