Watch the Electricity Cables in Your Car

By mor
Kiryat Ata, Israel
I took the car to the mechanic 3 hoirs ago. The problem was with many flashlifhts: two main beams and one dipped beam don't work, plus turn left , parking ...the mechanic just took some sort of a box with two wires come out of it, connected to a part I'm not sure what it is, and said there was a short circuit in a part called reley...never heard of it. He said a price 640 ILS. It sounded too much for me, I didn't take it and took the car back home. I told a neighbor about it and he looked with me, we foind a melted cable with exposed copper. Seems cheap. I will update later in two days. If you have lights problem in the car, open the engine cover and look for melted wires, look at all of the wires where they have contact with something else. It can be a suspicious spot of melted plastic that leads to exposed copper.
We have our car checked every 6 months, everything seems fine for the moment.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
That is good, what do they check ? do they plug it into a computer that finds problems from sensors ?
@stringer321 They check everything, the cables, the tires, they change the oil.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
@LadyDuck alright. that is good. Do they show you when something is wrong ?
@msdivkar (16509)
Thanks for the information but present day cars are so sophisticated that it becomes very difficult to work with them without modern tools and good knowledge of wiring circuits.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
Right, but at least we can see clear evidence for melted plastic on wires. If we can see things, we better check for them.
@msdivkar (16509)
@stringer321 yes I agree but we hardly open the bonnet.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
@msdivkar this complexity is too much, I don't like it. -_-.
It's nice when you know stuff about auto repairs, it helps you know what you are being charged for.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
Thanks, it saves time and money. Too bad we got to learn this stuff when we need to fix the car and not before -_-
You were amazing there. But be sure to take safety precautions when you try fixing minor problems in your car.
• Walnut Creek, California
I bought a new (old) truck this summer when my main vehicle broke down in Montana. it drives great, but has some electronic issues. I will take your words to heart/mind.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
give it a try, just open the engine cover, look at the wires, sometimes there are spots where a wire touches something, maybe the wire has melted plastic there and the copper got exposed so you only need to repair that and not the thing that gets the wire electricity.
• Walnut Creek, California
@stringer321 have checked and will check again. The mice had their fun with the wire casings when my truck lived on a ranch.
Good luck to you with repairing your car. That was very good advice. Our car dealerships are responsible for checking our cars. So far, all is well.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
Ok, now you can sometimes take a look and find defects before something happens. Don't just blindly trust the dealer.
@stringer321 My husband is in charge of the cars, but he knows not to trust them totally.
Thank you for that advice. Could come in handy for many of us.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
It is important to learn about car mechanics and electricity, to have an idea about the problems that come up.
i hope yer neighbor 'tis able to help ya get 't fixed fer way cheaper, hon. those garages 're very spendy. gotta pay fer all that high-tech schoolin' required these days. too much computerized gadgets, poor quality parts. hope ya figured what melted that, sounds most dangerous.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
Not dangerous, but, at least I see what's wrong. I can talk to the mechanic later and ask him to just connect a new wire, or see what causes the wire to melt.
@rsa101 (28951)
Wow it looks like it either got melted by very hot climate or just yhat the machine got very hot that melted the wires to that point. It is good indeed to have your car check every now so often to avoid having this kind of problem.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
I had no choice, main beams and dipped beam right don't work. I don't like taking my car to the garage, and I do it only if I have no choice. It is very expensive.
@happylife1 (13420)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Thanks for sharing your expert opinion
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
I'm not an expert, I will take the car again and see what the exact problem is. What I'm trying to say is that we need to have some basic understanding of car mechanics and electricity. Not hurry to say ok for what the mechanic says.
@Janet357 (60785)
Thanks for the tip. My husband always checks our car
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
That's good, with some knowledge in car mechanics, he can save a lot of money on garage.