Proxy Marriage,Thoughts?

@flapiz (11155)
United Kingdom
I have been watching a lot of period dramas these days and in many occasions, I see “wedding by proxy”. So basically, it’s a wedding making use of a stand in because for some reason one of the party cannot attend. I am not sure if it still exist today but I do find it too convenient that it seems to defeat the purpose of having a ceremony.
I would not proceed unless it was me standing there.
@flapiz (11155)
I share the same sentiment. I take marriage pretty seriously and having it by proxy makes it less serious.
@flapiz I am just sure I would be there.
@JimBo452020 (27331)
• Montrose, Scotland
Would that be legal in the UK?
@flapiz (11155)
In this modern day it is not legal in the UK. Since it poses migration issues.
@JimBo452020 (27331)
• Montrose, Scotland
@flapiz I checked. It would not be legal in Scotland even if involved a bride and groom living next door to each other here in our town. Both parties to be married must legally swear oaths to each other, in person.
@flapiz (11155)
@JimBo452020 Well probably it’s not legal in a lot of places in this modern day. Although I found that it is legal in some African places.
@moffittjc (91092)
• Gainesville, Florida
I would not want a stand-in at my wedding. If I cannot have my bride standing there next to me to recite the wedding vows with me, then I would rather hold off until a later time.
@flapiz (11155)
I truly share the same sentiment. It’s supposed to be a solemn and sincere vow not just a civil obligation.
@moffittjc (91092)
• Gainesville, Florida
@flapiz Too many people nowadays don't treat marriage like the sacred union that it was designed to be. You are right in saying that it should be solemn and sincere.
@flapiz (11155)
@moffittjc Yeah marriage today has become quite breakable. Unfortunately.
@florelway (14967)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Never heard of such a thing or just actually heard it now. Is that being done?
@flapiz (11155)
Well I’ve only just heard of it or seen it on period dramas. It’s been done before I’m not sure to this day.
@florelway (14967)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@flapiz that's very strange. Wonder if they need special documents for that when one of the contracting parties is absent.
@flapiz (11155)
@florelway they have a marriage contract the other one is presigned by the absent party. And they have a witness to make sure it’s legal and binding and also to make sure they don’t get carried away by the moment and consummate the marriage.
@rsa101 (29031)
I know that your witnesses/wedding godparents can be proxied but I do not know if the bride or the groom can be.
@flapiz (11155)
Well it can. But I don’t know in the modern day. I heard Ghana allows it.
@rsa101 (29031)
@flapiz Wow you would allow someone else to vow to your partner in your absence. There might be legal implications on it.
@flapiz (11155)
@rsa101 I personally wont. Why get married if you can’t have a solemn proper wedding. But it is legal in some cultures.
@Hytton03 (1083)
I don't know if that's happen in reality.
@flapiz (11155)
Well I did search for it online and yes it is a thing that existed before. But yeah it sounds so unreal.
@Hytton03 (1083)
@flapiz i don't know how i feel. But i respect.
@flapiz (11155)
@Hytton03 Well of course if it’s their culture then we must respect. Although I personally would not partake in it.
@moonandstars (44754)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i think this once happened in the history of some british rulers but, still, not a good feeling
@flapiz (11155)
Yeah I’ve seen it in historical dramas and got quite intrigued by the concept.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@flapiz yes, history is fascinating
• Santiago, Chile
It would be an odd wedding to attend haha
@flapiz (11155)
For sure. For me, it’s more of a power boost rather than a wedding.
• Santiago, Chile
@flapiz exactly.
@fatragu (516)
I have heard of this being used in the US military if for some reason they MUST get married and just can't be in the same spot at the same time. I can think of medical reasons why this may be used. One person needing surgery and wanting the other person to be the one making the decisions for them since they know what the person wants done. Other than that, I don't really see a need for it. Have a great day and may the pay out odds be ever in your favor!
@flapiz (11155)
Medical reason does sound quite sensible reason for proxy marriage. I’ve always thought it is more of a political gain but yeah it can be necessary.
Not sure if i should proxy a marriage, it's either Im there or not.
@flapiz (11155)
Same here. I don’t think I ever need to be in a proxy marriage. I’m a jealous person, I’d probably get jealous of the proxy bride.
It is a sad thing that it will not take to attend this kind of event.
@flapiz (11155)
Yeah it’s more done for convenience or political reasons. I don’t think we common people could relate.
What's the point if the 2 actual people aren't there?
@flapiz (11155)
Exactly same sentiment. Is a wedding that urgent that can’t wait for the bride and groom to meet face to face?
A proxy marriage would definitely make for a less meaningful ceremony, I believe.
@flapiz (11155)
Yeah. In the movies it is used for alliance purposes instead of a celebration of love.