SNAP benefits

By C
@ShyBear88 (47440)
So my husband decided he was going to file us for SNAP in hopes to lower our food income. I got a call from the Child’s Services last night about finishing up the paper work for it. I answered the her questions and my husband sent in this morning by email 2 of his pay stubs and by the end of the day we got the answer. We knew already we where pre approved for benefits but got the official words today that we are indeed approved and will be receiving those benefits for me, and the 3 kids. Roughly $144 a month which is about 2 weeks worth of food. The also have extra food benefits with school. I can save a little extra money in our pockets or pay off some bills sooner.
@kaylachan (23477)
I am so happy for you both. My husband and I applied years ago for the Florida equivalent, but were denied (made to much), but still. It's good that you get extra savings.
@ShyBear88 (47440)
Yeah some times you don’t qualify. Years ago we dropped out of WIC when our oldest no longer received it. We didn’t go back since the youngest had gluten allergy and WIC didn’t cover that but SNAP does since you can get any food you need
@kaylachan (23477)
@ShyBear88 That makes sense. Not all food stamp programs are the same. I'm glad they exist for those who need them, but I'll admit to being relieved my husband and I don't qualify. It means, despite how bad things get, we can still get by. Even if it feels like we're drowning.
@ShyBear88 (47440)
@kaylachan no qualifying doesn’t mean your not equally at need and it doesn’t mean that you are making. Lots of people need it but make to much money and are told no but stillness to put food on the table and have to go on week with no food which mean they have to try to sell things or ask people for help if they will help.
That´s wonderful!I live on a budget and know what a little help does.
@ShyBear88 (47440)
We live to a certain budget but it depends on what we need and I try to stick to a list.
@ShyBear88 Last winter I had many problems with the heater. To change it was not on my list
@ShyBear88 (47440)
@marguicha our van last year, then this summer and the AC where not what we wanted to spend and fix.
@akalinus (36592)
I remember getting food stamps at one point. We had a house full of kids and no money coming in. I don't think they called it SNAP then. It is a lifesaver to feed hungry mouths. I did not stay on them very long but I'm glad they were there when we needed them.
@ShyBear88 (47440)
They still have food stamps, they also have WIC which is like SNAP also for mother’s and children. WIC is for kids under the age of 5 once they are 5 they no longer receive benefits with WIC and your food options with WIC is limited. SNAP covers all foods including birthday things like candles and bakery. Also things like tooth brushes and such that is medically need. Food Stamps only cover food of course.
@ShyBear88 Except that the Food Stamps no longer come as what looks like a coupon book. Now, they are on the EBT card (that the younger folks know as SNAP). And, money for non-food items is also loaded onto some EBT cards. But, it has never been loaded onto mine (when I had it while my son was still a child, or now that I am disabled).
@ShyBear88 (47440)
@Chellezhere Va still gets food stamps you have to go to the WIC office to pick them up. We do have EBT cards they are give for SNAP, and WIC. They made a switch by the time my third kid came around no longer those checks, a card use it like you could a credit card and then pay the difference. There is also other programs that use EBT card through the school for the free or reduce meal plans for students.
@erictsuma (9056)
• Mombasa, Kenya
That's nice news enjoy the benefits
@ShyBear88 (47440)
Thanks can’t enjoy them yet I need the card first to use it.
@erictsuma (9056)
• Mombasa, Kenya
@ShyBear88 oh that's right
@ShyBear88 (47440)
@porwest (46901)
Use the opportunity to get ahead, for sure. It's the only way the system actually helps anyone. Hope you put it to good use.
@ShyBear88 (47440)
What am I getting ahead of? Yes the SNAP goes to go use it goes to feed my 3 kids ages 9,8 and 5. One of which has dietary restrictions which then means his food coast more since it is special. So please do tell me what do you think I’m getting a head of? Hmm the office of child services clearly told me we don’t make enough money to properly support my children and pay bills. So this assistant makes sure there food needs are meet.
@porwest (46901)
@ShyBear88 What I am saying is don't just use the money to help feed your children and then spend willy nilly just because you don't have to pay for certain groceries. Use the money to get yourself into a better financial position so you can take care of yourself instead of having tax payers do it for you. That's the only way welfare programs actually help anyone. If all it does is keep you right where you are, you might as well not take it, because it won't change anything.
@ShyBear88 (47440)
@porwest my husband pays text every year he works 40 plus hours work a week as a nurse. So are you saying that someone that works taking care of people daily doesn’t deserve assistance. Also the card only covers food nothing else. I can’t get clothes or games, toys or anything. I can’t use it towards bills. So before you assume something that you don’t know about someone I wouldn’t tell them what they can and can’t do. For the past 10 years we have given ever cent to ours 3 kids to be feed, to have a home, pay the bills, go to the doctor. My husband worked his way from job to job and it’s not right away they magically you can have everything you want it.
Some food can be grown at home
@ShyBear88 (47440)
I don’t know I live in a town hours and it’s winter. Where would you like that grow at home go? I don’t have a house with land and planting anything right now wouldn’t be a bright idea
Glad that you got some extra $$ help
@ShyBear88 (47440)
Yep, a little extra help never hurts
@Hytton03 (4550)
Happy for you.
@ShyBear88 (47440)
Thanks
@valerie37 (996)
• Christiansburg, Virginia
I'm happy for you. These days anything helps.
@ShyBear88 (47440)
Thanks, yeah the poor lady says she has a lot of new people applying so her and a bunch of others are working till 8pm ever day
That is wonderful congratulations so glad for you. It always helps when things get easier
@ShyBear88 (47440)
Yes, a long time ago we had WIC
@db20747 (36098)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
This is right on time! Glad you got approved!
@ShyBear88 (47440)
Yes! They can do a few days back and this month coming so we will have almost $300 on the SNAP card for food
@Dena91 (14595)
Glad you are able to get the extra help.
@ShyBear88 (47440)
Thanks it’s always there.