This Banana is Ripe

By Arya
@yoalldudes (27967)
It is color green but it is already ripe. Do you also have this variety of banana in your place? My daughter told me should have at least one kind of fruit everyday. So I told her to eat a banana. I dont buy apple and the like because they have to be transported from overseas as they dont grow in tropical climate and there might be some artificial preservative of some form I dont know what. But it takes weeks even months to spoil.
@owlwings (43521)
• Cambridge, England
How do you know when these bananas are ripe if they are still green when they are ripe? Bananas don't grow in England, but they are a very popular fruit herem nevertheless. They are imported, of course, from a number of countries and they are harvested green and ripened during the long journey by sea. They do the same with apples (which do grow here, though we import quite a lot from South Africa and New Zealand). Thy don't have any artificial preservatives, they are simply chilled on the ship and that keeps them from spoiling. Here, we only see the yellow banana but some specialist shops do have other kinds like plantains (which are green and usually cooked skin and all in savoury dishes, mostly by people from the Caribbean) and little red bananas.
@yoalldudes (27967)
Interesting. I wonder if freezing is how apples are preserved when transported here as well. If that is the case, I would surely buy them as they are healthy and delicious. My partner just told me it is right. But if I want to see for myself, I would've just pinched it
@owlwings (43521)
• Cambridge, England
@yoalldudes I'm sure that apples are shipped to the Philippines in exactly the same way. They are chilled to a carefully controlled 0.5 Celcius and the atmosphere is usually kept with a high carbon dioxide content to inhibit ripening. Apples give off a gas as they ripen (as do most fruit, including bananas) and the chilling and the atmosphere help to prevent this. Once they reach their destination, they are, of course, allowed to ripen normally. 96% of your apples come from China. Of course, although there are almost certainly no artificial preservatives, you should always wash apples because you don't know what pesticides were used on the growing crop. Some fruit is waxed before exporting but apples have their own natural wax coating, so they are usually not waxed.
@yoalldudes (27967)
@owlwings Thank you for this info. Really they come from China. I was expecting Japan due to the Fiji brand or something. I will keep this in mind the next time I go to the market speaking of which majority of our market is on enhanced quarantine because of a positive case
@rakski (75069)
I usually use this for baking . I prefer the lakatan
@yoalldudes (27967)
Lakatan is my favorite.
@rakski (75069)
@yoalldudes same here
Here ripe bananas are yellow
Here also in Canada
@yoalldudes (27967)
I guess that is the more popular variety.
Here if the banana was green, it would be very hard and not ready,
@yoalldudes (27967)
There are varieties that are like that, even here.
@DaddyEvil (31248)
Ripe bananas here are yellow, although there are other varieties that are not yellow when ripe. (We can get small bananas that are red when ripe. There is also a banana that is blue when ripe. Both are very good, although they don't taste like yellow bananas.) Personally, I prefer yellow bananas before they turn yellow. Just before they turn yellow they have an astringent flavor to them that I like.
@yoalldudes (27967)
Blue when ripe woah. Never seen one.
@DaddyEvil (31248)
@yoalldudes The blue ones taste kinda like vanilla custard and are very creamy.
@yoalldudes (27967)
@DaddyEvil I love vanilla. I dont think I would like creamy texture though.
@Deepizzaguy (43880)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I have not purchase green bananas at the local market since they are hard to find.
@yoalldudes (27967)
Even here they are not very common.
@Deepizzaguy (43880)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@yoalldudes Thank you for sharing this fact.
@yoalldudes (27967)
• Israel
@yoalldudes I always thought when it turns yellow the peeling is ripe. Bananas are a very good fruit to eat.
@yoalldudes (27967)
That is the most common variety yellow when ripe. Rich in potassium.
• Israel
@yoalldudes They have not lasted very long in summer so stopped buying them. If ok I may just buy a few.
@yoalldudes (27967)
@Cheyee (8532)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
We have that kind of banana here (we are neighbor) but I don't know what its name. What is its name at yours?
@yoalldudes (27967)
I dont know as well. Yes, we are neighbors so I guess more or less alike
@Cheyee (8532)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
@yoalldudes just banana then.
@yoalldudes (27967)
@Cheyee ripe green banana
@m_audrey6788 (34949)
I also tried green bananas here and it is good to eat already. I just don`t know how to see if the banana is ripe or not I just have to taste it before I eat the whole one
@yoalldudes (27967)
I dont know as well. My partner just told me it is right. My best bet is if you pinch it and it is soft.
@yoalldudes Oh ok.
I think there is a crazy number of banana varieties. Something like 500? The most common type in the US/North America is supposedly about to go extinct or so I heard a while back. That type may be spreading around the world before we know it
@yoalldudes (27967)
Wow really that is a lot I know maybe less than 10 varieties.
@ptrikha_2 (28689)
Well, we always associate Green Bananas with either the unripe ones, or there are some varieties which come in handy for making vegetable.
@yoalldudes (27967)
Yes there are varieties for dishes.
@dya80dya (22914)
We don't have them here.
@yoalldudes (27967)
May I ask what country are you in?
@Margono (22)
• Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Bananas are incredibly tasty and easy to eat. What’s more, they’re rich in many essential vitamins and minerals. Most people eat bananas when they’re yellow and ripe, but green and unripe bananas are also safe to eat. However, some people dislike their taste and texture.
@yoalldudes (27967)
The variety of the one in the picture is ripe even if it is green. Welcome to myLot.
Here in Canada, we have tons and tons of delicious apples, I wish you could taste them
@yoalldudes (27967)
Oh my, I wish I can pick them straight from the tree.