AI UPDATE (MyLot Exclusive #380)

@xander6464 (18563)
Wapello, Iowa
A lot of people are uneasy and uncomfortable about Artificial Intelligence (AI). The most common ones that most of us are exposed to are Siri, Alexa and Google. As I type this, there is an Alexa sitting not more than three feet away from me. I've had it (Or her, if you prefer, because she does seem very lifelike a lot of the time) for about three years now and she still seems pretty harmless to me. Not terribly useful but an amusing novelty that is useful on occasion. But I do understand the fear some have, even as I find it unnecessary. We've all seen how HAL and the robots in West World and many others have made life difficult for their human companions and I have dealt with unreasonable computers that aren't even technically intelligent, so I get it. And now for the first time, I've found some validation for the fear. I would still say that everything on the list I'm giving you a link to is annoying rather than frightful but a couple of the items kind of hint at slightly darker possibilities for them. I remain unafraid of AI---In fact, I still think there's no real danger and can't wait for it to be really useful but if you do, here's a list that might increase those feelings. TECHNOLOGY | FEBRUARY 20, 2021 Top 10 Times Alexa Went Rogue
Like Hal 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey, sometimes technology turns rogue. Interactive devices might seem innocent, but it is only a matter of time before
I've thought about getting Alexa. I don't find any harm in it.
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
I see no harm, too. And Alexa is handy. If you ask for the weather or simple fact, she can tell you right away. She also has a timer. Like if you wanted to make a 3-minute egg, you can just say, "Alexa, set a timer for three minutes."
@xander6464 That is handy. She might cut through my research.
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
@just4him She is much faster than opening a new tab and typing a simple question. Of course, if it's a long answer, she'll just read all of it and in that case, it's easier to just get it yourself and read it. That's what I do, anyway.
• Walnut Creek, California
Oh oh.
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
Don't worry. AI is as harmless as cats.
• Walnut Creek, California
@xander6464 I checked out the examples. I did not tremble with fear.
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
@TheHorse I didn't either. I'm still pushing for even more technology.
@arunima25 (54401)
• Bangalore, India
That's alarming in a way especially if it can misguide young minds to murder foster parents misread their request and expose them to inappropriate contents. It's alarming that Alexa is listening all the time and our personal information can land in wrong places. I am sure that AI would never replace human intelligence.
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
It is a little disturbing but we have to remember that this technology is still brand new. It will improve.
@arunima25 (54401)
• Bangalore, India
@xander6464 AI will need improvement and updating throughout as the technology advances and new needs and opportunities come. But for every improvement, we would need the real human intelligence. It can never replace that.
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
@arunima25 Like with everything else, we need to be careful with it.
@moonandstars (46605)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
useful technology is always welcomed.
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
The more useful, the better!
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@xander6464 totally!
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
@moonandstars I really want a holodeck.
@dgobucks226 (25743)
I have an Alexa and a Cortana on my computer. I basically use them for spell check, trivia, music, movie info stuff like that. I do think Alexa is listening in on my conversations sometimes and I hazard a guess laughing at me And if he/she is doing any of those 10 things I just might have the last laugh
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
I'm pretty sure Alexa is listening all the time. Her lights come on at strange times for no reason, too. The last laugh is always the best one.
@ARIES1973 (11095)
• Legaspi, Philippines
I currently don't have a gadget that is being run by AI though I am aware that chatbot is also one forms of AI and I frequently came across in some websites. I also know how to set up one through the use of Querlo. There are also some apps but those are not so popular in current times and I don't need those for the time being. Though I also want to have some but I am aware that it comes with a high price for some simple tasks that we can do on our own.
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
We can do them on our own but it's more fun to have a computer do them.
@GreatMartin (18027)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I prefer using people to AI
@xander6464 (18563)
• Wapello, Iowa
Real people still have a couple of advantages. But probably not for long.