Moxie on Netflix

Israel
I am watching that on Netflix now. It is really good. For those that know Amy Poehler, she has been in Parks and Recreation. She joined Saturday Night Live in 2001. She plays a Mom in it. I have never heard a movie called Moxie because Moxie is a Yiddish word. Yiddish is something that Jews spoke and still speak now. My parents used to speak it when they did not want us to know what they were saying. Some people are fluent in it but I do not know a lot of words. Moxie is a Yiddish word and it means that someone has backbone and guts. Amy who is Lisa in the movie has a daughter named Vivian and when the movie starts she is in 11th grade and she grows and learns from a new girl that comes to the school and she becomes more bold in her choices that almost leaves her best friend behind but her best friend changes too. I think you should check the movie out. It is High School kids and even if you had a back High School experience I believe you will like this movie. So check it out. I chose this picture because she loves to sit on the couch and watch TV while eating ice cream.
@RebeccasFarm (25167)
• Denver, Colorado
We say moxxie too Hanni
• Israel
@RebeccasFarm What do you use Moxie for when you say it?
• Denver, Colorado
@Hannihar The same as the Yiddish
• Israel
@RebeccasFarm Yiddish was and still is spoken by a certain sect of Jews and Moxie is one our the words. Do you know Yiddish?
@Shivram59 (26662)
@Hannihar I don't know much about movies, especially English movies.But yes,you write very well.
• Israel
@Shivram59 Thank you my friend.
@Shivram59 (26662)
@Hannihar You are always most welcome,dear.It has been more than a month since I have not posted a discussion.
• Israel
@Shivram59 That is ok answering other posts is very important.
@jobelbojel (22492)
I have seen the poster of this movie on FB. I have lots of movies to catch up on. Thank you for sharing the tidbits about Moxie being a Yiddish word.
• Israel
@jobelbojel I hope you can find time to watch the other movies and this one too. Yes, it is very much a Yiddish name. You are welcome.
@jobelbojel (22492)
@Hannihar Yes, I might ask my friend again if I can share Netflix with him. After all, it was my account that I transferred to him. He is the one paying for it and the others.
• Israel
@jobelbojel I hope he will do it with you.
I remember my parents speaking Yiddish when they didn’t want us to know what they were talking about. I learned to figure out some of the words. Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out, too.
• Israel
@DianneN I have also learned some of the words too but not enough to understand a story or joke. I am glad you want to check it out.
@Hannihar You probably know more than I do.
• Israel
@DianneN As far as Yiddish goes I really do not know a lot but there are many that speak it here.
@arunima25 (56326)
• Bangalore, India
I too would love to sit on couch, watch a movie and eat ice cream. So I too can relate to it. I and husband talked in our native dialect( we both have a different one but we can understand each others and speak ours) when our daughters were small and we did not want them to listen to it. But now they are grown up and can understand them
• Israel
@arunima25 I think you may enjoy this movie but it isn't about sitting on the couch and eating ice cream. I cannot really explain it but you have to watch it to see what you feel about it. I am not good with languages and live here in Israel and struggle with Hebrew.
@arunima25 (56326)
• Bangalore, India
@Hannihar I just commented relating to the sentence about the picture in your post I could make out the content of the movie from your post. And it sounds interesting. Not all of us have linguistic intelligence. Being good with language is one of the multiple intelligence that has been acknowledged.
• Israel
@arunima25 I have never been good at languages so try the best I can. I understand that you understood what I wrote and just wanted to a comment that was interesting.
i saw it on the trending list last night ...i didn't know moxie means this ..... and i was also not aware of Yiddish
• Israel
@DocAndersen Moxie is very much a part of Yiddish. The movie has nothing to do with Judaism. It becomes something that starts with a brochure and is very much feminism.
@DocAndersen (37330)
@Hannihar moxie is a common word in the US, used without the original context for sure!
• Israel
@DocAndersen It is very much a word that is in Yiddish for Jews that spoke it in the Europe and Russia. There are still those that speak Yiddish and you hear it lots here in Israel.
Been meaning to watch this but I watched 'The Tax Collector' instead. Not a great movie but it had its moments.
• Israel
@allen0187 I am sorry The Tax Collector was not good but I really really liked Moxie. Now, you can check it out. I decided to check out if we have The Tax Collector here but we have Debt Collector 2 I noticed.
@Hannihar I think those are two different movies. Will watch Moxie next time.
• Israel
@allen0187 I have not seen the Debt collector and we do not have The Tax Collector so cannot tell you anything about it. Sounds good that you want to check Moxie out.
It sounds like a good movie.
• Israel
@just4him Thanks Valerie. It was a good movie.
@Hannihar You're welcome.
That sounds like a very good movie to watch.
• Israel
@jstory07 It was good.
@Robinhuut (235)
• Bogor, Indonesia
Sitting on the couch watching tv eating ice cream hmm I've done that but cold ice cream
• Israel
@Robinhuut Sounds really good. In summer I love cold ice cream.
I haven't been watching much Netflix lately but it sounds like it could be worthy of viewing.
• Israel
@snowy22315 ok and check it out if you want to.
@CarolDM (125229)
Have not seen this movie. Thanks for the review.
• Israel
@CarolDM You are welcome for the review.
I do like Amy poehler so I think I would like it
• Israel
@BelleStarr I am glad you like her because she is in it a lot. If you want check it out and see. You can always go out and watch something else.
@DocAndersen (37330)
sounds interesting, I am not a huge fan of Amy P. but the movie does sound intriguing!
• Israel
@DocAndersen Thanks Scott. Not everyone likes her. Her daughter in the movie I would say is the main character and there are really good people in it.
@thelme55 (66471)
It sounds a very interesting movie to watch. Thank you for the info.
• Israel
@thelme55 I hope you can check it out and you are welcome for the info.
@myklj999 (56030)
• Olney, Illinois
"The word (moxie) has been attributed to a Yiddish word and also to a Native American word meaning “dark water.” It's been a slang word in American usage since back in the 1930's