Wow! Today is an Interesting One for Me.

I have known for years that I work for an amazing company. Mind you, it is not perfect because perfection isn't real and never happens for more than a moment and those are the moments we cherish. With all the losses, changes, pandemic and confusion in the world it seems there is no real calm. Today a senior leadership member reached out to me with a new assignment. Before he could tell me about the assignment I said, "Do you know that I am not working today? It's my day off?" in a rather gruff tone. Yes I know but some things can't wait. I didn't reply I was just sitting there fuming. He moved forward. "You have been through so much the past two years and somehow you have survived. You have managed to come back with more compassion, understanding and the power to bring people together. We need to know how this very rocky journey made you grow in such a positive way." "I have not been positive. I was pushed through hell. I had no choices." "Okay, same difference. You have become something more and somehow we have to share that message. So we have an additional assignment to give you." "You realize that I work 40 hours a week and we don't offer overtime as we are all trying to make a financial rebound for the company." "Yes, I am aware. I am also aware that no matter the assignment we have handed you, you manage to do it and you always do it your way, no matter what we say." I felt like I had been outed by everyone in the company. I often feel like rules are simply good ideas, not always something that should be followed. Now a senior manager was confirming it. "You are going to find a way to write a book about your entire experience over the last 25 years with company. We don't want to hear boring stories about work, we want the raw experience of life, death, and role the workplace and people you worked with played in your life. We want you, as a member of our family to write it and we want to publish it.." "I appreciate what you are saying, but I am not sure you have the right person for the job. He asked me to hold the line and the person who spoke next said this "I am sure that you remember when you broke into the building because the manager on duty was not there and you said you had to get in and turn on the systems because guests were waiting? I didn't fire you I applauded your courage. I don't know if I will live long enough to read your book, but I know that you will write it for me from the heart. You owe me one, I didn't fire you." ~~~~~ So will you all help me? Will you read and tell me what needs to be fixed? Will you take this journey with me? Since now it's just me in a big old house, a 23 pound cat that won't listen to me and 40 hours a week job (that still needs to be done) help me with this huge assignment. I know it's asking a lot. I am alone here. I don't believe I can do it alone. What say you?
@LindaOHio (68089)
You're a writer. You can do this. I would be glad to help you in any way possible since I am a writer too. My strong points are spelling, punctuation and grammar; and I would be good at editing. Just let me know how I can help.
Thank you so much. I didn't check back right away, mostly because of fear. This totally alone thing must take more time than I expected. I have published two books now. One is fairly successful, the other not so much. This one will take more effort and it will be worth it. "Because I have been given much I too much give". It is something I live by. Today I am going to the horse races. I sign the National Anthem at the beginning of races. it is something I have done for years. I enjoy going and I find it comforting when they ask those who are active or retired military to please stand, then they ask the gold star families and then they ask all to rise and Everyone Does!
@LindaOHio (68089)
@Writingghost Congratulations on getting two books published. I have been trying forever to get my children's book published. That's wonderful that you sing the National Anthem. I don't know what to suggest about the alone thing. Is there other family that you could move in with or that could move in with you? How about a friend?
You may be physically alone in your house, but having myLot you are not really alone. Someone is here 24/7 just let us know what to help you with.
@Shiva49 (21643)
I have written my work life experiences that spanned forty-five years but after retirement. It is not easy by any means when you are putting so much time and effort in your work. Unless you are given time off.
@DocAndersen (42890)
you are the right person to write that book, I promise you this my friend, I will buy that book!