Maybe part of me is still there

@sallypup (46332)
Moses Lake, Washington
For about five years I helped Veterinarians. If you'd taken your animal to the Doc you probably wouldn't have seen me. Vets have troops that most people don't notice. "Vet helpers" and technicians and that jack of all trades term, Kennel help. Some days most of my paycheck was earned by cleaning and sanitizing kennels and cat pans. Any second I could get the call to get over and hold an animal while it was being looked at or X rayed. Never a dull moment. At times I'd hold an animal as they came to from surgery. I cleaned surgery packs and kept an eye on the autoclave. That was years ago. Today I am home. This morning I dealt with Fred cat. He did not want that Pred. No way. Not eating that canned food yummy cause it had medicine in it for his asthma. I hated to do it but I finally scruffed him and down his throat went that pill. Sally dog chomped her arthritis meds easily cause its flavored. This afternoon I saw that she was clacking her teeth together. I'd given her a Milk Bone biscuit a few minutes earlier. She loves them though her teeth are flat. I listened and watched. Action was not stopping. Again I hated to do it: I had her come to me and quick, grabbed her, reached into her mouth, found the round chunk of Milk Bone that lay just beyond her teeth and brought it out. No more choking so Sally settled and ate the chunk in good order. Guess maybe I run my own animal shelter.
You know just what to do - those "care" instincts kick in and you go for it . It can be difficult, but sometimes these actions are necessary for a pet's own good.
@sallypup (46332)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@much2say You're right. When Fred cat was a kitten he managed to jump up and catch a claw in the hinge of an old dresser. (No door, just a hinge). I ran over and grabbed him before he tore the claw out. He just started to meow!! and he felt himself lifted. Crazy moment for sure.
@sallypup My goodness that was quick thinking on your part - you saved Fred's claw! Ah, I guess what I'm trying to say is you have fast reflexes when it comes to animal emergencies and such. You know how to take action .
@sallypup (46332)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@much2say I try. Imagine ripping off your fingernail. Gruesome picture, huh? That was what was happening to Fred with that claw. And this is why I am set in rock against declawing. Part of the animal's foot goes with that claw. Ugggg.
@wolfgirl569 (44286)
• Marion, Ohio
Cats are very picky and know when something isnt right with their food You are a good mommy to them even when they say you were not
@sallypup (46332)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@wolfgirl569 Fred needs this pill for all the days of his life. I hope we do better tomorrow morning.
@wolfgirl569 (44286)
• Marion, Ohio
@sallypup Hope so. But they can be stubborn.
@sallypup (46332)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@wolfgirl569 I sure know that.
@CarolDM (145849)
I volunteered at an animal shelter years ago but had to quit. I wanted to bring them all home. Brendel never liked her meds either. They know when they are hidden in their food.
@sallypup (46332)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@CarolDM I admire that you could volunteer at an animal shelter. I can't do that. Too much pain and suffering goes on there for me. I got into an argument once with an animal shelter person. She said they give the pups one meal a day and that is good enough. Probably due to money. The idea of a growing dog being fed once a day disturbs me deeply.
@CarolDM (145849)
@sallypup I was trying anything at the time. But was not cut out for it.
Anyone with an animal runs an animal shelter, even without training. I call that being a good mom.
@sallypup (46332)
• Moses Lake, Washington
True @DianneN Sonny J was licking my elbow as I wrote this post! Silly boy.
@VonHerman (416)
• Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Halo! Here, "Guess maybe I run my own animal shelter." Yes why not? I think you are qualified . Keep safe, thanks for sharing. Have a great time with Fred and Sally. -Von Herman.
@sallypup (46332)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@VonHerman Thanks. Good to hear from you.
Your animals keep you hoppin for sure. Nico loves to wake me up early in the morning demanding food..when he has a bowl full..I think really, he is just "up" so he thinks I should be.
@sallypup (46332)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@snowy22315 Nico has his priorities straight.
Your pets are lucky to have an experienced owner to care for them!!
I am glad your two pets are now ok.
@LindaOHio (71431)
You are a good mommy to your fur babies. They need to be watched every second!
@prashu228 (32013)
Glad you helped Sally ..she is lucky...
Because my heart is much bigger than my brain, I took in rescue dogs. I had seven at one time. I spent hours each month caring for them. One of them always had something that needed attention. I'm down to just three now but still run that animal clinic here. I know just what you mean.