What a ripoff!

I've spent the afternoon searching online to try to get ideas for my parents' Christmas presents and my mother's birthday present. They are difficult to buy for--especially my mother and I have to get her 2 things at once. I finally thought to get her a gift card to Carmine's which is an Italian-American restaurant sort of chain. There are locations in New York City, Atlantic City, Las Vegas, and the Bahamas. I've been to the NYC and Atlantic City locations. AC is easier for us to get to. My family always goes out to dinner for my birthday and I always say that I want to go to Carmine's. My parents go there a couple of times a year on their own or with other friends. Fine. I ordered a $100 gift card for my mother. THEY CHARGED ME $4.99 FOR SHIPPING! Seriously? $5 for something you can mail in a regular envelope for like 50 cents or whatever stamps are now? Ugh. Problem was that I am already having an impossible time coming up with gift ideas for her so I just clicked and paid that insane shipping fee. Whatevs.
@Belexhanns (3482)
• Kampala, Uganda
Hope your mum will be pleased by your gift
@kobesbuddy (139114)
• East Tawas, Michigan
It makes me mad, how they usually shaft us on shipping charges. $5.00 for a gift card is a ridiculous amount!
I agree.
@kobesbuddy (139114)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@NJChicaa I bought a used paper back book from Amazon. It was $1.50 and the shipping charge was 4.99!
The is ridiculous to charge that much for shipping a card.
I agree!
@TheSojourner (34878)
Better yet, they could email it for nothing, only to be printed out by the recipient/or purchaser, I am sorry they charge 5- 10% for that. Anything they can do to increase their profits.
@LindaOHio (79434)
Won't your mom give you gift suggestions? I used to badger my MIL until she finally gave me a list. They shouldn't charge more than $1 for shipping.
@kaylachan (28102)
Insane fees are where the money is made. Sorry you had to deal with that.
@Scrapper88 (4355)
I wonder if part of the 5 dollars was for insurance in case the gift card got lost in the mail.
@dodo19 (43800)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Hopefully your mom does like her gift. However, I do agree that it's a bit of a ripoff.
@Junbals (1381)
Well, the main thing is your mom is happy.
@wolfgirl569 (52354)
• Marion, Ohio
They better send it express mail for that much
@RubyHawk (45737)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That’s a steep price for mailing.
@Babino (2599)
• Morocco
I hope she appreciates whatever you decide to give her.