My neighbor is bringing dinner up to the apartment tonight

My downstairs neighbor and I are good friends. We've had dinner together several times. We exchanged Christmas gifts last year. I watched her dog while she was out of the state for several days. Anyway she has told me a few times between her disability check and the child support she receives she lives on $2000 a month. Rent here is almost $1300. Then she has her car payment, utilities, cell phone and cable bills, credit card bills, etc. She does get some assistance with utilities because her income is under a certain limit. She was getting something stupid like $45 in food stamps but with COVID relief and whatever else it has been jacked up to several hundred dollars per month. She didn't know that and discovered that she had $1400 in her account. So what did she do? She hosted Thanksgiving for her sister, nephew, and son. She made a tiny turkey and also served lobster tails and snow crab legs. I don't even know how she is allowed to buy lobster tails and crab legs with food stamps. I don't even buy lobster tails! Sooooo she has 3 extra packages of them and her son has visitation with his father tonight. She is going to bring 2 packs up here along with some leftovers from Thanksgiving. I'm not going to say no to free lobster. I just can't believe she can buy it with food stamps.
@TheSojourner (37189)
I'm all for helping people. I don't have a problem with some social programs. But I do not believe that food stamps should be allowed to be spent on certain kinds of foods. I know that goes against all of the freedom arguments, but when one can social program money on that kind of thing or on cereals that are candy-coated, instead of oatmeal and fresh fruit etc, I have a problem with those things. And the fact that everything is now on a card that looks like a credit card, no one knows the difference so nobody is embarrassed.
If you are behind the person and can see the register's screen it shows up as an EBT payment. At least it does around here.
@NJChicaa I understand. I don't pay attention to those things, but people don't seem to have a problem using EBT anymore. I know that at one point I have qualified, but would never apply for it. Now I'm not sure that I would, but I also don't have a problem living within my means, concerning my food budget. I will buy food that may not be fit for a king but one would never know it. And, when the community has a free food box giveaway, just because they end up throwing it away, and they will give a box to anyone, not just those who are openly in need or registered as such, but to the whole community, then I take advantage of that and work within it. It doesn't make me any better than, but I just cannot find myself being wasteful, and I want to be a good Steward with what I do have. I also understand about living on an income such as you explain. My rent is $1,500 currently, and I don't get any other break or assistance withutilities or anything else. I'm doing my best to pay off my One credit card and have made some good progress, every month whatever I have left over minus 20%, I pay on that card. Hopefully I will have it completely paid off in 2022. At one point it was nearly $25k balance.
Maybe she paid this with cash and bought other things with the food stamps.
she didn't
Good for you to be eating lobster ( although I prefer crab). But the US food stamps are not something I can understand. I think that if everybody is helping you to pay for your food (as in food stamps) you should use them only in certain food.
@kobesbuddy (142837)
• East Tawas, Michigan
When my children were small and living with me, I applied for food stamps. For one month the gave me a voucher for $12! I told them to keep their social services, for someone else All three of us worked, to keep our household flowing smoothly.
@LindaOHio (82639)
I don't know how she got lobster either; but I hope you enjoyed your meal.