This is what Type 1.5 looks like....

Rupert, Idaho
So as I said in my last discussion, my doctor believes that I am type 1.5 diabetic now since getting DKA. Normally, eating a low carb diet would help my blood sugars lower throughout the day, and they would get a lot better over time. However, now I have been eating low carb but still see blood sugars in the 200s. For example, I will share today's food and blood sugars. Fasting - 208 After insulin shot and before meal 2 - 298 After meal 2 - 237 Foods I ate: Snack with antibiotic - sugar free pudding Meal 1 - Quest protein bar Meal 2 - 4 oz salmon with 2 mini sugar free hershey candies Meal 3 - Keto chow with heavy cream It is hard to eat food these days...I get full really quick. I don't even want to mention where my weight is after being in the hospital. However, this is my health now....
Sorry to hear you aren't better than before
• Rupert, Idaho
Well at least I am no longer in the hospital. But it is what it is, I guess....I can't eat low carb alone to fix my sugars.
@MommyOfEli2013 yes you aren't in hospital though
• Rupert, Idaho
@Courtlynn 4 days and 3 nights were more than long enough in the hospital!
@DocAndersen (55524)
i've heard that term 1.5 from a couple of doctors. you can do this!
• Rupert, Idaho
Pretty much type 2 that needs insulin Normal meds and low carb don't lower my numbers anymore
@DocAndersen (55524)
@MommyOfEli2013 yes, it is a between category, there are many of us in it
• Rupert, Idaho
@DocAndersen Darn...and i thought i was special. Haha kidding, I know I am not special
@TheSojourner (37065)
I have never heard this type 1.5 before. I hope you are able to find a good balance with this. Sometimes, depending on our ailments, it is so hard to pinpoint what things are and how to manage them. I had my annual physical today, and my weight is just much too heavy for my liking. However, I am so grateful that I'm not where I was with the weight several years ago when I was 25 lb from being 300. I always carried it fairly well, because I'm so tall and large boned, but I was in a lot of pain and really felt the effects on my body. I wish you so much good health and luck in dealing with your situation. My heart goes out to you.
• Rupert, Idaho
Mostly just is type 2 that will need insulin for life. I have never been good at balance, lol. Sorry your weight is more than you like, but that is good that you are not where you were back then I can understand the pain and such. Gets hard to carry extra weight... Well thank you, going to be a long road ahead...first got to see the Endo
@MommyOfEli2013 do you know when you will be able to get in to see the endocrinologist?
• Rupert, Idaho
@TheSojourner The doctor said he would refer me to them....so not sure when they will call. So no idea at the moment
I hope the shots help get you back on track with your blood sugar.
• Rupert, Idaho
Well woke up under 200 today after taking the first insulin shot. but it probably won't be a huge change until I get fully on insulin
@MommyOfEli2013 I'm glad the number is coming down.
• Rupert, Idaho
@just4him the fasting number, after meals it still spikes whether I eat carbs or not. So just need insulin with meals too I guess.
@askme123 (3227)
What is DKA?.Hope you feel better soon
• Rupert, Idaho
diabetic keto-acidosis
@askme123 (3227)
@MommyOfEli2013 Ok, I see
@wolfgirl569 (48366)
• Marion, Ohio
Hope the shots start helping
• Rupert, Idaho
Saw a number under 200 this morning...so that is a start. but still high after meals
@LindaOHio (82554)
I had never heard of the 1.5 before. I hope the insulin will help you reach your blood sugar goals.
• Rupert, Idaho
It's type 2 that gets to the point that they need insulin pretty much. Scared to go so an endocrinologist.
@Janet357 (75574)
i know it is a bit challenging to keep the numbers heathy.
• Rupert, Idaho
way too much
I hope it all works out for you.
• Rupert, Idaho
thank you
I hope the insulin shots can come in handy
@Babino (4647)
• Morocco
So sorry to hear that !!! I never heard of type 1.5, I only knew of type 1 and 2. And not only sugar can cause high blood sugar but also anything made with white floor and anything that's fried. It's not easy .. I wish you all the best.
• Rupert, Idaho
It's not just white flour...anything with carbs. Eating fat itself doesn't cause it but yes, type 1.5 is new to me as well