This Day January 14 In Music History

Daytona Beach, Florida
In 1929 country singer and guitarist William Marvin Walker known as Billy Walker was born in Texas. He's best known for his 1962 hit "(I'd Like to Be In) Charlie's Shoes". He got the nickname Tall Texan and had over 30 charted recorded. He was a longtime member of the Grand Ole Opry and was killed in an auto accident in 2006. In 1937 country music singer Billie Jo Spears was born in Texas. Her biggest hit was "Blanket On the Ground" in 1975. She passed on in 2011. In 1955 George Jones came out with "What Am I Worth" and it was one of the fourteen songs on his debut album in 1957. In 1976 Glen Campbell's signature song "Rhinestone Cowboy" was nominated for the Grammy for Best Country Song and Record of the Year but didn't win. The song was written by Larry Weiss and after Campbell hear it on the radio while touring Australia decided to record it. In 1988 Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt & Emmylou Harris got together for a trio collaboration album. One of the songs was "Wildflowers." In 1995 Tim McGraw was at number one on the US country chart with "Not A Moment Too Soon." In 2006 George Strait had his 40th number hit on the Billboard Hot Country Songs with "She Let Herself Go." In 2021 American country music singer-songwriter and the vice president of A&R at Capitol Records Larry Willoughby died age 73. His debut album Building Bridges was released in 1984 and three singles were released from the album including the title track.
AboutPressCopyrightContact usCreatorsAdvertiseDevelopersTermsPrivacyPolicy & SafetyHow YouTube worksTest new features© 2022 Google LLC
@FourWalls (38509)
Today it was announced that Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame member Dallas Frazier passed away this morning. He had a “greatest hits” list of songs that he wrote, most notably, “Elvira” which the Oak Ridge Boys did. He also wrote “All I Have to Offer You (Is Me)” by Charley Pride. One of my favorites is “Honky Tonk Downstairs,” which wasn’t a hit for anyone but is still a great song. He was 82.
From their self-titled second album (1970).Well, it won't be long now Until that old sun goes downAnd darkness helps me hide My shameful tearsMy wife works a...
Thank you for the info @FourWalls I have heard these songs and my mother's name was Elvira but she liked it pronounced like in Latvia Elveera, I like that song so thanks for the link,
• Rockingham, Australia
Love those three women singing together. They are all such talented individuals but as a trio, I think they're even better.
@CarolDM (169058)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Lots of good songs here. George Jones is missed very much.
@xstitcher (23055)
• Petaluma, California
Was never much into country music myself.
@LindaOHio (82517)
The only one I'm very familiar with is Glen Campbell's Rhinestone Cowboy.
The first three I don't know. I'm sorry Glen Campbell didn't win for Rhinestone Cowboy. Good song.
@kanuck1 (3879)
That's a beautiful song by Dolly ect.!
@Dena91 (16767)
I knew all except Larry Willoughby.