This Day June 23 In Country Music

Daytona Beach, Florida
In 1929 country singer, songwriter, actress, dancer, comedienne, and author June Carter Cash was born in Virginia. She became the wife of country legend Johnny Cash. She had hits with Johnny Cash including, "Ring Of Fire", "Jackson", "If I Were A Carpenter". She played the guitar, banjo, harmonica, and autoharp, and acted in several films and television shows. Carter Cash won five Grammy Awards. She passed on in 2003. In 1953 country singer Pake McEntire was born in Oklahoma. He is the oldest borther of Reba McEntire and Susie Luchsinger. His biggest chart hit was the 1986 was "Savin' My Love for You" On 2001 Lonestar was at number one on the Country chart with "I'm Already There", the lead off single to their fifth album. In 2006 Tony Bennett made a surprise appearance during Tim McGraw and Faith Hill's sold-out show at New York's Madison Square Garden. Bennett joined McGraw for a rendition of the Hank Williams classic "Cold, Cold Heart." In 2010 Willie nelson was inducted into the Library of Congress's National Recording Registry. The NRR is a list of sound recordings that "are culturally, historically, or aesthetically important, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States." In 2016 bluegrass artist Ralph Stanley also known as Dr. Ralph Stanley. He is known for his distinctive singing and banjo playing. His work was featured in the 2000 film O Brother, Where Art Thou?, in which he sings the Appalachian dirge "O Death." That song won him a 2002 Grammy Award in the category of Best Male Country Vocal Performance.
Your browser isn’t supported anymore. Update it to get the best YouTube experience and our latest features. Learn moreRemind me later
@JimBo452020 (42933)
What exactly is bluegrass?
@JimBo452020 here is the definition Bluegrass music is a genre of American roots music that developed in the 1940s in the Appalachian region of the United States. The genre derives its name from the band Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys. Unlike mainstream country music, bluegrass is traditionally played on acoustic stringed instruments.
@JimBo452020 (42933)
@RasmaSandra thanks for that. I must have a listen to some and see what I think
@RubyHawk (62560)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Jimbo452020 I’m an Appalachian girlI. I grew up listening to Bluegrass music.
so long ago. Have fun tonight
@CarolDM (186394)
That Lonestar song still gets to me every time I hear it.
@CarolDM haven't listened to it but I will
• Rockingham, Australia
Another great song. And thanks, too, for the definition of bluegrass.
@RubyHawk (62560)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I’ve enjoyed all these country stars music. Country stars today do not surpass them.
@RebeccasFarm (65089)
I love all these so lovely Sandra thanks again
@LindaOHio (95271)
I loved the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou?
I used to listen to Blue grass music but have not in a long time.
@GreatMartin (22555)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I love Reba--she is so talented!!