About to head out to my parents' house

My parents live in a retirement community about 20 minutes from here. It is weird to think that it is that far away but there it is. I go through the back roads. The biggest worry about driving through there with all of the deer. They are everywhere. My mother feeds them which I do not agree with. In any case the deer are all over there and my little car doesn't stand a chance against them. Hopefully my mother will behave herself. She has gotten very mean and cranky in her old age and loves to go at me for being a "stupid liberal". It is strange because the woman like never voted in her life but once Trump came on the national stage as a presidential candidate she lost her mind and is now full-on MAGA. My father also shares her beliefs which disappoints me because he is very smart and should know better. He and I can discuss politics, though, without nastiness. My mother doesn't have that ability. I wish I had a Xanax to take before showing up there. It is going to be a long and difficult afternoon.
@kobesbuddy (156419)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Enjoy your dinner and time with your family! Refuse to discuss political matters, while you're supposed to be celebrating a holiday! Tell Mom, 'NOPE, not today mother!'
• Walnut Creek, California
Sage advice. But would her mother not politicize something and then go off? I don't know.
@kobesbuddy (156419)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse She would easily get offended and then storm out the door! She's angry, since she has gotten older:(
@Fleura (23101)
I know exactly how difficult it can be. You love your parents and want to be there for them, but sometimes they make it awfully hard. I hope you all manage to enjoy your time together.
@kaylachan (39628)
Try not to think so negatively. Keep the politics out of the conversation. It doesn't need to be a subject of conversation every time you meet.
• Walnut Creek, California
I'll send you a Valium.
@kobesbuddy (156419)
• East Tawas, Michigan
And I'll send a Lexapro, express mail!
@LindaOHio (109106)
I understand how difficult spending time there can be. My in-laws were very difficult to spend time with; and now my hubby has become a cranky old grump. I hope you survived!
@LouAvul (2246)
So if you like Trump or are Republican you can't possibly be smart? Know better than what? My day is going to be about as happy as yours, and I don't have Xanax either, so I can totally relate to your family dread.
People who like Trump can be smart. I just feel disappointed in my dad when I hear some of the stuff he says
• Walnut Creek, California
There is a big difference between being Conservative, or Republican, and being a Trumpian.
• Walnut Creek, California
@NJChicaa Has he "thought things through" more than your mom?
@RebeccasFarm (77451)
Wish you did not have to even think about politics with your parents.