Now You Know #3

@porwest (60561)
If you are a fan of Batman, you know of the famed Gotham City. One question that has always been on the minds of people, but many die-hard fans probably already know, is what city Gotham City is modeled after? Many have thought it reminds them of Chicago. Others say it's New York City. And both tend to make sense if you have ever been to either one of these cities. But according to Batman aficionados, the city that Gotham City is actually modeled after is none other than St. Louis, Missouri. It is said that the original map of Gotham City is the map of St. Louis in reverse. Now you know.
@Deepizzaguy (74963)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I have always thought that Gotham City is based on New York City since there was a baseball team that was nicknamed the New York City Gotham.
@porwest (60561)
It appears that is false. They were very clever to reverse a map of St. Louis and call it Gotham.
@Deepizzaguy (74963)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@porwest That is true since the reason many superheroes call New York City their home is that many of the writers live in New York City.
@porwest (60561)
@Deepizzaguy It is definitely an iconic city rich with a lot of history and references. I can see why it would be the basis for a lot of places.
@RebeccasFarm (78252)
Does not surprise me..I am a St Louiser
@porwest Yes not far from you at all..we used to go sit at Alton near the Thunderbird cliff when I was a teen.
@porwest (60561)
I think I do recall you mentioning that. St. Louis is about 20 minutes away for me.
@porwest (60561)
@RebeccasFarm Very familiar with that area. Small world. lol
@DWDavis (20724)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I always thought it was Detroit or Pittsburgh. St. Louis wasn't even on my list of possibilities.
@DWDavis (20724)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@porwest Now I wonder what city was used for Metropolis.
@porwest (60561)
It surprised me as well. Although I have read that the original creator did actually consider New York for the city's idea, but apparently the St. Louis map was used in the television series with Adam West and Burt Ward.
That is interesting because I thought that Gotham City was supposed to be NYC. Then I got curious and took another look online and found this Gotham City is traditionally depicted as being located in the U.S. state of New Jersey. Gotham's look and atmosphere was primarily influenced by New York City. Finger chose the name "Gotham" so that the residents of any city could identify with it. Now I am all confused please explain?
@porwest (60561)
The thing about Batman, and other stories like it, is that it is fictional and there have been many people involved in the telling of the story—so, things can become convoluted and confusing sometimes. At the same time, there is not necessarily a right or wrong answer. This came from IMDB regarding the original television series, "The "Giant Lighted Lucite Map of Gotham City is a reverse image of St. Louis, right down to Forest Park, Fairground Park, Tower Grove Park, Lafayette Park, and Horseshoe Lake on the Illinois side, as well as the other river and road networks." But of course that was featured on the television show. It may not have been the original reference. At the same time, scenes have been shot in many major cities and "altered" to give the scenes that "Gotham feel," including Chicago, London and Pittsburg. So, the actual "origins" of Gotham may be rooted in many places over the years as the comic has evolved as opposed to just one.
https://anthonyblackham.com/gotham-map/
@noni1959 (9252)
Very interesting. I always remembered it being dark in the original Batman series. Always a gray cast.
@noni1959 (9252)
@porwest I know! It was always so gloomy and wondered why anyone would stay there. Of course, it's just a movie but still.
@porwest (60561)
@noni1959 Besides. They have all those weird criminals there. lol
@porwest (60561)
Yeah. Gotham City, to me, would be a place I am not sure I would enjoy. Does the sun ever shine there? lol
@LindaOHio (109732)
Now I know.
@LindaOHio (109732)
@porwest I have several series I plan on doing; but I just haven't felt like doing the research lately. Maybe next month.
@porwest (60561)
Thus, the title of the series. I think this could be a fun one provided I can find enough fodder for it, which I think I should be able to. Beyond things I already know of course that I think some may not know. We'll see.
@Jenaisle (7054)
That's interesting information. I had thought it was Chicago as well. I'm not so familiar with St. Louis, Missouri, so this is new information for me. Thank you.
I knew that I read it somewhere. I love Batman.
@porwest (60561)
All kinds of interesting history regarding "Gotham" as well. Quite detailed for a fictional place. But then, sometimes fiction has it's following—like Star Wars and Star Trek and there is some very detailed "historical information" that someone (and many) have taken the time to create.
@moffittjc (108535)
• Gainesville, Florida
Anyone who's ever been to St. Louis (well, more specifically...East St. Louis) knows that you need Batman and about 10 other super heroes to protect you from crime there.lol
@CarolDM (199109)
Have never been to St. Louis. Good to know.
@LouAvul (2396)
I thought it was NYC. Go figure.
@porwest (60561)
All that I have researched says that Gotham City was a reversed map of the City of St. Louis. I cannot verify it is true. But it seems to be the consensus.