Are friends more important than family?

@reaperz (1266)
Some people like friends more than their own family. Others like their families more. Some kids just go hang out with their friends to escape from their family. So, what do you think is more important?
I believe family is more important . We need friends in life too but it is our family we rely on when something goes wrong in life . It is nice to get away once in awhile with friends but for the most part I would prefer to be with my family .
@reaperz (1266)
True
@crickethear (1417)
I would say it depends on the family situation. If you have a better relationship with a friend, and they have more supportive, then your friend should be more important.
@reaperz (1266)
Could be true.....
Family is important of course because there is this bond that ties you to every member of your family for life but we all know that we cannot choice our family and sometimes certain family members can also hurt another family member, some may not also merit or deserve love and respect. Its a case to case basis but the thing is, one can always choose his or her friends and in that respect, you get to pick the people you really want to be a part of your life and get along with. I think both are important because sometimes there are things we can only share and experience with family and there are some that we can only share with friends.
If a person has a happy family, then he would like his family and would like to hang out with them. But, if there is more of hate within the family and not a real sense of bonding, then, the person would look for love among his friends. In such cases, he would hang out more with his friends.
@stephcjh (32303)
My marriage comes first. I don't have any friends any way that I can count on or rely on. With the way things are these days, everyone needs to stay together and help each other out. I don't have time to separate my time from my family to give to others unless they desperately need me for something. I would never spend time with someone else when my family needs me though.