Do you let your kids play in the rain?

@jpso138 (7851)
Philippines
March 29, 2009 11:15am CST
Well, when I was young, I used to play in the rain. I love the sound of the rain up until now. For me the sound alone brings a cooling effect. Well, I do not play in the rain anymore since I am big already. I have a child who loves water so much most especially the rain. Whenever it rains, he really wants to go out and play or bath in the rain. I do let him play in some cases and let him enjoy. I remember my younger days before. What about you, do you let your kids play on the rain? Or you let them stay indoors when it rains?
4 people like this
23 responses
@brendalee (6082)
• United States
30 Mar 09
I still love to be out in the rain. My son loved it too especially if it was hot out. I guess its ok as long as its not a cold rain and there isn't a chance of lightening.
1 person likes this
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
30 Mar 09
Yes, it is really a wonderful experience. I do miss those times. I guess when there is an opportunity, I will do so with my child. As long as its safe, then there would be no problem. Do enjoy the rain with your child and be safe always!
@thaMARKER (2503)
• Philippines
30 Mar 09
i don't have kids but i have little niece and nephew and they're not allowed to play under the rain. they're playful and very active but their parents worries a lot when they get sick. i used to play under the rain before but not usual. i like it when you're with some friends..
1 person likes this
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
30 Mar 09
I think there were times when I was a kid that my parents will not allow me to play in the rain. I had asthma before and they are always afraid that I might suffer an attack if ever I play in the rain. There were a lot of times that I envy other kids who are out in the rain playing while I was inside the house looking at them from our window. Later on as my health improve, I was already allowed and it was surely fun. I know that the parents knows best. Perhaps later on they will allow the children to play in the rain.
@balasri (26537)
• India
30 Mar 09
I do.As I was brought up in a place where it pours all over the year I have this affinity with rain.I can understand it play in it and enjoy it to the maximum.So if my daughter wants to play in the rain I can really understand and always allow her the pleasure of drenching in the rain.And I too join her many a time.
@balasri (26537)
• India
31 Mar 09
Thanks a lot.I like any child to enjoy to the maximum the glorious child hood which is the golden period of any person's life.
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
1 Apr 09
Yes that would be a very wonderful thing to do to a child. I am sure that by doing so, your child will grow to become a happy and loving person..... Best to you and your family.
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
30 Mar 09
Wow, that is definitely great. Well, I think it is just a matter of adjustment. I know that playing in the rain is really fun. I am glad that you have the time to enjoy with your child in the rain. I think this is a very great bonding for you and your child. Do enjoy always!
@checapricorn (16061)
• United States
29 Mar 09
Hi jpso, I have no kids but if ever I will have, I might not be confident to allow them to just play under the rain....Scared of getting sick but I know it would be a wonderful experienced for them to try it.....
1 person likes this
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
30 Mar 09
Yes, that would be one of the concerns considering that in some situations children may get sick when they play in the rain. Probably because they are out in the cold. But I guess this can be prevented by increasing their resistance with good food, supplements and vitamins. Well, chicapricorn, I hope to see you and your kids later on enjoying the rain.
@carrine (2743)
• Philippines
8 Apr 09
yes . but not always, because we dont know where the water comes from, and their playing is using their hands, and so its EWWW ...hehehe but yes i do let them explore things
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
22 Apr 09
Well, I guess if they play on the water that is on the ground that would be unsafe. But perhaps running around the area enjoying the rain would be something fun and great. Do enjoy and explore the feeling of playing in the rain.
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
30 Apr 09
Yes, that is quite true. You can never tell what you would get in the city area. There are a lot of garbage and most likely this will affect the quality of water. Well, it would be better to be safe than sorry.
@carrine (2743)
• Philippines
23 Apr 09
yeah ive tried before during my days actually. but different situation because we used to live in the province, its more safe than here in a subdivision.
@Theresaaiza (10487)
• Australia
31 Mar 09
I let my younger brother play in the rain provided that it's the second strong downpour. They say that the first one is usually toxic because of atmospheric pollution. And I don't let him stay long enough under the rain to avoid catching colds. Experiences like this always mean so much to kids. You have to see their big smiles, and hear their giggles when playing under the rain.
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
1 Apr 09
How wise of you... I really do not know if such situation is true. Just wondering if ever your brother got sick playing in the rain.... Yes, quite true, big smiles, and giggles when playing under the rain. You might want to add jumping and running....
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
2 Apr 09
Yes, I heard about such belief. But I really do not think that the main reason is resistance of our body. Perhaps when you are exposed to the sun and heat and suddenly you get wet, you may suffer colds and flu. But somehow having rain when the sun is up and you get wet may not be likely the cause of cold or flu and perhaps it does not carry those things that may cause problems. I think it is just a matter of resistance. Though I could be wrong. But there people who get wet during rains where the sun is up and some of them are okay, some may also suffer.... So it's really up to the persons resistance. What do you think?
@Theresaaiza (10487)
• Australia
2 Apr 09
...and splashing mud!:-D He got sick once because he went out on a drizzling day. It was drizziling but the sun was still shining. A lot of folks would say a weather like that always brings forth diseases of many kinds! :-D We all got the flu and he started it.
@Mitraa (3184)
• India
9 Apr 09
Oh, Just never! Because kids have very low body resistance power towards cold and cough. By allowing them to play in rain, it will sure make them ill of cold and cough! Also it may develop fever! So I never allow my kids to play in the rain. But for adults, it is advisable to take good rain bath in open air for at least twice in the rainy season only! This enhances the natural immunity power of the body that is the blessing of rain directly to human health! Perhaps this fact is known to some people. Thanks for this nice posting and have a good day!
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
10 Apr 09
Hi there, thanks for pointing it out. I think you are right. Children or kids do easily get some cough or colds when exposed to this. But usually I let my son play in the rain together with me. But I usually do not allow him to play long since I am afraid that he might catch some cold or flu.
@silverglint (2000)
• Philippines
4 May 09
beautiful building picture - This picture was taken by my sister when she went on a vacation trip with my dad to thailand.
I haven't really decided yet... Maybe one of these days I will consult my husband regarding this. My husband and I experienced playing in the rain when we were younger. But nowadays there are so many things to consider (now I understand how my parents feel hehehe) I want them to experience the fun of playing under the rain but at the same time I am afraid that they might get sick or something. Maybe when they are a bit older when I feel that they have a stronger immune system
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
4 May 09
Yes, I guess most of us have this experience when we were young. It is really fun. I bit our children will also find it fun. Though you are right, we have to consider health. There are some cases that they might get sick if they play in the rain. But I think its a matter of having a strong health and great immune system. Best to you and your family.
• United States
8 Apr 09
About 5 years ago it was raining on a particularily warm day so my husband(then just my boyfriend), my 10 year old(then obviously 5), and I went out and walked around in the rain and splashed in the puddles! To this day she still talks about how much fun that was!
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
8 Apr 09
I see. I can only imagine how much fun it was considering that you continue to talk about it until now. Well, those are precious moments indeed. Best to you and hope that the rain will come again so that we can have other precious moments to talk about in our years to come!
@JenInTN (27514)
• United States
30 Mar 09
As long as it's not storming or cool..I do let them. I used to love playing in the rain when I was little.
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
1 Apr 09
Yes, safety is very important. There are times when its really unsafe most especially when there are lightnings and thunderstorms. So the thing is we should monitor them always when they are out in the rain so as to warn them if it is not safe.
@PinkyPosh (226)
• Canada
2 Apr 09
I don't have kids. But when I have, and they are eager to play in rain, I would never stop them. Because I'm a persong who enjoy playing and screaming in rain. And I know how much pleasure it gives. I will definitely not be an hinderence to my kids happiness. If this brings their health down, just few tablets would bring it back. But what can give a happiness like this???
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
4 Apr 09
Hi Pinkyposh, you are absolutely right. It is really enjoyable to play in the rain. I am sure that the happiness that we get is really something. Some children may get sick but I think it is just a matter of getting used to and having some immunity and resistance. If our children are properly cared for, most likely the wont get sick easily even when playing in the rain. Good luck to you and to your future kids.... I can see them already enjoying the rain.
@mimiang (3760)
• Philippines
2 May 09
I love playing in the rain my self so there is nothing wrong with it.I will even join them
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
2 May 09
Yes, I do love to play in the rain. The only thing is that I do not have much of the time to do it nowadays. Well, if the opportunity comes, I would surely join my son in playing in the rain. It would surely be a great bonding time.
• Philippines
9 May 09
I let my child play and enjoy the rain but not to long for the rain is not good especially if it's hot and in a sudden it rains, we might get flu with that. and sometimes we could get "panuhot" and rheumatism..
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
9 May 09
Yes, I also do that. Letting them play so long may cause some problems on their health. It is really fun for children to play in the rain. I feel that to when I was young. So I would always give that opportunity for my child later on.
• Philippines
27 Aug 11
I dont have kids yet but I love going out in the rain when i was still 7 years old, we play in the rain with my friends and its fun. My parents scolded when i went out in the rain because it may cause some illness, i agree of what my parents said because after i bath in the rain i got colds and cough..=(
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
28 Aug 11
Yes, there are situations that when you play out in the rain, you may suffer a cold or a flu. But I think for as long as the immune system is strong, there is no problem with such. I think we can practically go out in the rain and play and just do not do it to much since being there out in the rain may expose us to cold which may lead to health problems. But its definitely fun..
@riyasam (16556)
• India
30 Mar 09
i did love to play in the rain,so i donot mind my kids playing in the rain but i do take certain precautions like cutting their hair short and i towel them very thoroughly as they come in the house after their stint in rain.i do like to get wet even now.
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
1 Apr 09
Hahaha, I see. Well, kids do enjoy the rain and they love to play with it. We will just have to be careful since in some cases it may cause some flu or cold. But of course this would depend on their resistance and immunity. I also do towel my child very thoroughly so as to insure that they are not exposed to cold for quite a long time.
• India
30 Mar 09
Yes I do, in fact I encourage it if there’s no particular exam coming up. Though I don’t really expect him to fall sick after a rain bath…its only natural to get soaked in the rain, just because we don’t do it often, that we fall sick. Last night in fact we had our first norwester showers and my son came home quite soaked. I let him have his bath immediately to wash off the rain water and that’s all!
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
30 Mar 09
I think you have a point there sudiptacallingu. Most likely this is the reason why kids get sick since they are not use to such things. But I guess, there is nothing wrong with playing or getting wet in the rain as long as it is not to much. Well I also bath my child right away when he accidentally gets wet in the rain.
@cream97 (29087)
• United States
30 Mar 09
Hi, jpso138! I don't let them play in the rain. They will get sick and I don't want to see that. Maybe when it gets hot I will let them get into the swimming pool.
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
1 Apr 09
I see, well, I was in this situation before during my early childhood. I easily get sick. I am sure that you know what is best for your children. What is important is that they will understand why you do this since most likely they will see other children playing in the rain. Best to you and your family.
@bamakelly (5191)
• United States
30 Mar 09
One of the greatest memories I have of my children when they were small was playing in the rain with them in the summer. We lived in a big city at the time where there were driveways that ran behind the homes the entire length of the city block. The first time I took them out in the rain, my neighbors probably thought I was nuts but I used it as a teaching opportunity. When each were toddlers I took them walking in the rain, showing them flowers and explaining how God sends rain to feed the flowers, and provide water for the fish to swim in, and water for us to drink and bathe in. As they got a little older, they would look forward to summer rains because it was the only time they were allowed outside without their shoes on so they could splash in puddles and make mud pies with mommy. It also meant lots of giggles for us girls together in the shower afterward -- the only time they got to shower instead of sit in the tub at that age so, to them, it was almost like being out in the rain again. Both girls now have children of their own and I wonder if they remember those days...
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
1 Apr 09
I see, it is sad to note that it has been posted on another. Well, I do appreciate your reply. You certainly have a good way of teaching your kids and I find it very interesting and of course very effective. I do think that your children will surely remember those days when you were with them in the rain. I am even thinking that they have also done it with their children like what you did to them. Simply amazing!
@Yori88 (1465)
• Philippines
30 Mar 09
I used to play and bath in the rain when I was in elementary. I just love to run while it is raining and enjoy the flow of the water in my skin. I love it when the rain is so hard that I tend to have difficulty opening my eyes, I prefer that than little rain. Now I am married and I have a baby. I think when he grows up I will let him play in the rain but I need to cut it short. Maybe a maximum of 30 minutes. Reason is we live here in the city and I do not really trust the water that pours here. I am more confident of the rain that pours in the province because maybe the water is cleaner than here in the city. Besides in the province there are a lot of trees and bushes. Here in the city more things are concrete. I never have seen a big piece of land because all are cemented. I think one of the best things in life is to play in the rain and I won't deprive my son of that when he grows up.
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
30 Mar 09
Yes Yori, that is also one of my concern. The city is not that clean and there is always that pollution. Acid rain as what they say. The environment is not that clean anymore. Well, I think the provincial areas are still fine and that would be a great thing to enjoy when it rains and we are in the province. I am sure that when your baby grows up and is old enough to play and bath in the rain, you will certainly enjoy.
@HelloMickey (1655)
• Hong Kong
30 Mar 09
I like to play in the rain too. When I was young, played in the rain made much more fun. I always laughed in the rain. Even my mum didn't like that but it just made me much more eager to play in the rain. I like it is okay to let kids playing in the rain, of course, it depends on the kids' health condition, parents should know their kids better if their kids can play in the rain.
@jpso138 (7851)
• Philippines
30 Mar 09
Yes, that is also the attitude of my mother. I had a sickly childhood since I had asthma before. I easily suffer an asthma attack when exposed to dust, or certain conditions. That is why I had lots of restrictions when I was young. But later when I was a little bit older, my asthma was gone, and that was when I was allowed to play and bath in the rain. It is definitely enjoyable. Now that I have a child, I guess I will allow him to play in the rain. Perhaps we can play together later on. That would be great. Best to you and enjoy the rain....