Looking for a job after being out of the workforce for several years...

@patgalca (9398)
I have been out of the workforce for over 10 years since I gave birth to my last daughter and subsquently developed fibromyalgia. Since my health has improved somewhat over the last couple of years I feel I might be able to work part-time. I have been looking for a job for awhile now. This week there was an ad in the paper for a job. I ripped it out and set it aside. I woke up this morning and knocked myself on the head. Publishing company? Why am I hesitating on that? So I typed up a covering letter today. Here is where the hard part comes in. They want resumes sent in with references. Usually one just puts "references available upon request" on the resume and then worries about it later. Today I have had to come up with references to submit with my resume. Where am I going to get references? Is it possible to find someone I worked with 10 years ago who would be considered a reliable reference? I mean, sure I was wonderful 10 years ago when I worked in their office, but they know nothing of me today. For my first reference I have used a member of my writing group. Since I act as secretary for the group we both thought it would be helpful. I did get in contact with a co-worker from 10 years ago and got his information. We had a nice chat. It was nice talking to him again. But what will his word be worth? The other reference I used is, believe it or not, my Avon representative. I worked briefly for her making phone calls. What do you all think? How does one come up with references after being out of the work force for a long time?