Household clutter can lead to obesity!!!

@DJ9020 (1596)
Ok, now I think I've heard everything! In this month's issue of First, 10/1/07, there is an article that says, and I quote, "disorder in the kitchen causes the stress hormone cortosol to soar, increasing the urge to impulsively eat' -!!!!! Have you ever heard of such a thing? I just don't believe it.
• Japan
Just what I need another excuse for my weight problem! LOL! Actually when my house is in a mess, as it at the moment, I feel less like eating. I like the house to be a least tidy before I eat, it is just more relaxing that way!
@DJ9020 (1596)
That's how I feel. Like I want to eat in the middle of all that?
@carlaabt (3505)
I don't believe that. I know that at least for me, if my kitchen is messy, it makes me less likely to want to eat. If I don't feel like cleaning, I don't even want to set foot in the kitchen when it's messy. I really don't want to go in there and eat everything in sight. lol
@DJ9020 (1596)
For me, it doesn't seem to make much difference. I eat whether the kitchen is clean or dirty!!
@gabs8513 (48712)
No I have never heard of this before and I do not believe it either when I had a small Kitchen it was cluttered because I had to much Stuff lol but it certainly did not drive me to eat so I have no clue where that one has come from lol
@DJ9020 (1596)
Sometimes I think they just make this stuff up to sell more magazines. But, they do quote some actual authors!
I think for the most part stress raises the hormone level. I would not go to the extreme to say i do agree with the statement. I do know If I walk in my home and my daughter was in the living room I am stressed. I get so pissed to the point I just explode. I can't take the soda cans sitting on the table. The candy wrappers here and there get me going. So yes I do believe in the stress part. I also know some people who could care less about this as well. if I see dishes in my sink before I go to bed it's another blow up.
@DJ9020 (1596)
Yes, I think stress in general can cause all kinds of problems. To me, clutter doesn't bother me, but my husband just can't stand it if stuff is sitting on all the counter tops.
@thefortunes (2368)
• Netherlands
LOL DJ9020, and no, I do not believe it either, as if it was the truth I would have been fat by now, maybe 200+ pounds or so :) Who is the one comming up with such statements I wonder, and do they get paid for it too? :D TheFortunes
@DJ9020 (1596)
Seems like they're quoting from 'Fit to Live' - "jumbles on countertops register in the brain as information overload, tripping a biochemical trigger that's especially dangerous in the kitchen since it spikes appetite in the very place where food is most handy". HUH???