How would you respond to your Carbon Monoxide Alarm going off at 3:30 am?

@dayzz25 (552)
United States
November 27, 2007 10:59am CST
This morning I woke up to use the restroom around 3:25 and then laid back down. Just as soon as I was snuggled back in bed I heard a beep. I received a new Sonicare Toothbrush that I had plugged in to let it charge....so I was like well maybe it was the toothbrush letting me know that it was fully charged. I heard it again a minute later so I got up to investigate it. I went in to the hall by the bathroom to listen for the beep and I heard it again coming from the Carbon Monoxide Alarm. I've never had one of these alarms so I just kind of panicked because I thought it was telling me that the gas was leaking. I don't like gas it worries me and I would rather have electric. The first thing I thought was I need to get out of here so I started making my daughter some bottles to take with us and I got all of her stuff ready and started my car (it was very cold at this time of the morning). After a few minutes I figured my car was warm enough so I got my daughter about of bed and we went to my moms house (that lives 3 minutes away). I was worried about her because I had to wake her up from her nap (normally she only sleeps 30 minutes but she had slept for 3 hours). I called the hospital to ask them if I should bring her in and they told me that I should call the Fire Department first. Anyway I called the Fire Department and met them at my house just to find out that it was the batteries. I felt so dumb. What would you have done? Would you have checked the batteries before going through all of the trouble?
2 people like this
4 responses
• United States
27 Nov 07
Sorry this happened to you. I am laughing as I knew it were the batteries. If you had that gas leaking in your home. Your mother instinct would have told you to for get the bottles,bags,etc. I know mine would have. I would not be thinking of bottles at this hour of the morning. The hospital has bottles,diapers and blankets. MY daughter could be naked out of a bath and I would have got her out with a blanket. The good thing is you got back out of that bed. I have gas and it freaked me out when my oven was broken. It turned on by itself about this hour in the am. My house was burning up and we were sleeping in the back. I was also on the bus and got a call. On my friends cell phone that the house was burning hot. It was the oven again.
1 person likes this
@dayzz25 (552)
• United States
27 Nov 07
I don't know why they ever invented gas stoves, heat, water heaters or anything else. I think electric is a lot more safe. I would have been scared if my oven kept doing that. Did you get it fixed or did you get a new one? I'm always making sure that the burners on my oven aren't turned on slightly letting carbon monoxide in to the air. It is really scary because people die from it. :( Next time I will know to check the batteries though....lol. Have a great day.
@musicman6 (2368)
• United States
28 Nov 07
No,I wouldn't have known what to do either, I've never even heard of a carbon monoxide alarm, I probably would've done the same thing! If the alarm people don't make this information obvious, nobody else is gonna know what to do either!
@nica269 (1399)
• United States
28 Nov 07
I definetly would not check the battery before going thru all that trouble, but I would have woken up my husband. i'm thinking that if the alarm was going off that it would be more than just a beep. But nun the less, you did the right thing and got you and your daughter out safely.
@jormins (1225)
• United States
27 Nov 07
I wouldn't feel bad. Better to error on the side of caution, especially with children. I agree with you on the gas thing, I'd kill for an electric oven.