Ten years ago I'd never heard of fibromyalgia!

Now it seems that everyone has it or knows someone who does. They even advertise a drug for it on t.v. But a great thing about this is that it is much easier to find support. There are support groups across the country. And if there isn't one where you live you can get online support. Here are a few sites: www.fibrohugs.com Give information and support, offers an extensive and very active chat area, and it is run by people with fibro. www.healingwell.com This site offers community resources and information on "diseases, disorders, and chronic illness", including articles on a broad spectrum of topics It focuses especially on the emotional side of chronic illness. UKFibromyalgia has excellent discussion, great explanations about Fibro and related condtions, with a British twist! www.Immunesupport.com bills itself as the largest fibro Web site. It offers opportunities to post messages, hook up with others, and gain a sense of community. www.ivillage.com is a network of busy women sharing solutions and advice with message boards and chat areas specifically geared for people with fibro. Also has easy to understand medical information, personal stories, and links to newsletters and articles. It is easier than ever to "reach out and touch someone" who knows what it is like to live with Fibromyalgia.
@patgalca (14756)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Until you have it, or know someone that has it, you don't really know what it is. I have had it for 11 years and my original diagnosis was made by my sister-in-law because, unbeknownst to me at the time, she has fibromyalgia. When I tell people today that I have the illness they either say, "Oh no! Poor you!" because they know what it is or, "What is that again?" I never hesitate to tell them everything the illness entails. Awareness is key if we are going to get government support. I ran a support group which is listed on some of those sites, but the group seems to have dissolved due to lack of interest. I have yet to remove my group from those lists in hopes that the group with rise up again. In the meantime you can always find me on the ivillage fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue message board.