Valentine's Day is coming BUY ME SOMETHING

As I have stated in previous discussions, I HATE Valentines Day. I just cannot no matter how hard I try, justify anyone spending $70 on a dozen roses that are going to be dead in a week and cost less than half as much 3 days after the 14th. Or someone spending $15 on a box of chocolate that half of will get thrown away because no one eats the creams or the jellys anyway and that same box of chocolate is half price on the 15th. I have to buy Valentines and candy for my 3 kids and then it takes a whole Saturday afternoon to write out all the valentines and tape the candy to the valentine. This is the extent of my valentine's day involvement. Last year I told my sweetie that I didn't celebrate valentine's day, to please not buy my anything. He showed up at my house 2 minutes after midnight on the 14th with these two stuffed dogs that have magnets in their noses so it makes it look like they are kissing when you put them together. These dogs were holding a heart shaped box and in that box was a matching ruby and diamond necklace and ring set. GRR!!!! So I felt obligated to run out on Valentine's Day while he was at work to get him something. This year he says he isn't going to get me anything but I don't believe him. But I am faced with the same problem I had last year, having NO IDEA what to get for him. Do you guys celebrate Valentines Day and what are some of the things you do for your sweetie on this "special" day?
@skinnychick (6907)
Ok freaky cyber sis- Stuffed animals- ughhhh. This is a discussion(sort of) I was going to start after I got caught up with responses- I was at school to late yesterday. Anyway, stuffed animals. Ewwwww but the jewelery not bad. I myself don't care about Valentine's Day, Sweetest Day, or any other lovey day. You'd think I'd be way into it being the romantic that Iam but no deal. I think it's cheesy and dorky- most of the time gifts are forced out of obligation. For me, I'm into the just because, original, and out of the ordinary. You saw my "it's just the little things" dicussion...one of the best and most romantic things ever... I also got a journal from the same guy after he heard my story about why I gave it up and he knows I like to write..it's filled with dreamy about him things- go figure. The stuff like this with thought and originality and deep meaning..that is what love and life is about- not about candy, flowers, or stuffed animals only given on certain days of the year. Besides have you seen the price of a card these days? :)
I just got back from buying my sweetie his present for this forsaken holiday. If nothing else it will surprise the crap out of him if for no other reason then where I got it! I can't say anymore in case he happens along this discussion. The journal was a great idea. Your music man certainly has an imagination.
yep he's completely amazing- in every single way!
@pergammano (7755)
Learn to be a gracious receiver! Please just don't think of yourself, let your mate have the pleasure of giving! Do you know how many women complain about not being recognized on special days!
@bellaofchaos (11549)
A quiet evening at home..or a lunch or dinner. lol.. I like to have a laid back experience. I'm not one to over do it. LOL!!!
@SViswan (12071)
HATE is too strong a word...but I'm indifferent to Valentine's Day. It's just another day for me. I don't expect gifts or tokens of love from anyone....but I love it when my son does something special. fortunately my husband HATES Valentine's Day...so it doesn't affect us in any way.