Going AWOL during Army bootcamp

My 22 y/o son is in his 3rd week of boot camp in so. Carolina..........The military has added infantryman as his second job MOS without my son's permission. My son wants out of the ARMY ASAP........They told him to just walk out. Will he be considered AWOL, and if so, what will happen?
It a little bit late to wants out of the ARMY...your son has been in his 3rd week of the programme that run by Pentagon. You should have a comprehensive consideration before letting your son goes for service.
"Letting"???? After 18, these boys and girls have free will. I don't know where you are, but here...Our kids join with empty promises from the Gov. My son thought he had hit the motherload....
@sedel1027 (17873)
If I recall correctly, he can just walk away and not be considered AWOL. If i were you I would go see his recruiter ASAP on Monday (they are closed on Sundays) and find out the best option from your son. Often they will release you from your contract if you are still in bootcamp, it is after bootcamp that it is hard to get out..
Wow, that was fast!..........thanks so much for your interest........My son said NOT to contact his recruiter........But I think I should if he wants out that bad......I feel so helpless..........
@sedel1027 (17873)
Do not listen to your son. The BEST thing you can do for him is to contact his recruiter. The recruiter can help him get out without harming his future. I am pretty sure that since he is in boot camp he can walk away since normally you are not considered part of the service until you finish boot camp. Just like he could have changed his mind prior to boot camp, after signing his contract to not go with zero consequences.
I have a nephew who signed up for the Army to deploy 1/7/09. He decided he doesn't want to go now. He took the Army oath. He needs to go in and serve. It would be good for him. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make sure he shows up on the 7th? His father was a pilot and killed in Desert Storm. Can he be arrested, etc, for not showing up? Thank you so much
the way the system is set up is there is two swear in's (Army oaths) and as ling as he hasn't went to the second one the night before he ships out than he can just walk in and tell them that he has changed his mind and dont want to go anymore and he can walk away from this no consiquences, however they will pressure him and talk to him and try to convience him to stay. tell him to stay strong and if he doesnt want to go he dont have to
@wickedangel (1639)
• Dominican Republic
Hi there Just wondering how it went - was your son OK? Did he go AWOL? Hope everything is OK!