What's the difference between a pot and a pan?

United States
May 19, 2008 10:11am CST
I've been cooking for a number of years, so you'd think I would know the answer to this one. But, most times when I'm cooking I refer to my cookware as pots and not pans. But, I think there's an actual difference. The low lying cookware is called a pan. And, the deeper cookware are called pots. Is that right? I know it's a small thing. But, it's driving me nuts, lately. I've been calling my cookware all the wrong things. Darn cooking channel. Now they've got me confused on my favorite topic. What's your thoughts on the pot/pan name calling issue? Do you call your cookware pots or pans? Or, both?