Chocolate and dogs

@ladym33 (11008)
United States
June 12, 2008 6:01pm CST
I have read several things that say that chocolate is toxic for dogs. However, I have had several friends tell stories about how their dogs got into a chocolate stash and ate a lot of chocolate, only one of those people said their dogs threw up, everyone else said thier dog was fine. Has your dog ever gotten in to chocolate and eaten some? If so did he or she get sick? My dog never did this.
1 person likes this
6 responses
@thedaddym (1737)
• United States
7 Jul 08
We were lucky our dog never ate any chocolate, aside from CoCo puffs that my kids dropped on the floor. So I can't tell you what would have happened to her. We were always really careful about making sure she never got anything that would hurt her.
@diansinta (7551)
• Indonesia
3 Jul 08
Hi there ladym33, I never give Rado any chocolate. I'm trying but he doesn't like it. I don't know it's toxic for dogs or not, though. Beter i eat mu chocolate alone, i love them, I don't want to see my chocolate waste on the floor. Better i give Rado my yogurt. We eat together if I buy yogurt. Happy posting!!
@harrish (126)
• India
13 Jun 08
i never heard anyone saying chocolate is toxic for dogs.. i have given my dog many chocolates.. and he used to eat by enjoyng the taste and ask for some more.. and he is health only...
@YOULANLIU (312)
• China
12 Jun 08
I don't believe it!Chocolate is my Scottish Collie favorite food .Of course he don't eat too much,but it has no adverse reaction after eating.
• Canada
12 Jun 08
I have been very careful with my dogs with chocolate and any of the other things that can have a bad effect on them. Grapes, anifreeze and the like. But, yea, I have heard of people telling of their dogs actually dyeing from eating chocolate. I just wouldn't give them a chance. Chocolate isn't that great for humans why would you want to feed it to your dogs?
• United States
12 Jun 08
Well, chocolate is very bad for dogs. It might not effect them immedaitly(although sometimes it can), but it can effect them in the long run. Chocolate can actually be a cause for a dog dying earlier than they would have if they didn't get into any chocolate. That's why we try VERY hard to keep our dogs away from all choclate and candy! We want to have our dogs in our lives for as long as possible!