Should he still turn his father in for abuse?

@Hayley_N (526)
July 11, 2008 7:49pm CST
One of my friends has an alcoholic father. When he drinks, he'll start rampaging and yelling at my friend, his sister, and his mom. Once he was finally old enough he began to fight back and stand up for his mom and sister, and it has led to physical fights. He has hit back, so I was wondering if they can turn his father in for abuse without my friend receiving charges for assault and battery...
3 responses
@bellis716 (4806)
• United States
12 Jul 08
You have posed an interesting situation. If your friend and/or his sister are under age 18, the father certainly can be cited for child abuse. Would the mother be willing to testify in court? She might need to file charges against her husband. Child protective Services would only be able to help a child under legal age. As much as possible, your friend should try to shield his mother and sister from his father's blows without hitting his father. As I see it, the best solution would be for the mother to take her children and go to a battered women's shelter. Next step would be to contact an attorney.
@raynejasper (2326)
• Philippines
12 Jul 08
..maybe it would be good for your friend to refer his dad to the authorities already.. It would be much better to avoid bigger incidents to occur.. it will be a lesson also to his father..
• United States
12 Jul 08
If the father is pushing and shoving him first I do not see why not. The mom better stick up for him and stand her ground when the call the cops or social services. He can not get in trouble for defending himself. I lived this way for many years and left home at 17. They could not do anything about me leaving because I was to old. Then my mom took it out on my brothers and finally they came to live with me. I do know the mom and sister have to stick up for him. They may not out of fear. Good luck!