Inhaling paint fumes ???

Canada
September 21, 2008 5:11pm CST
My husband went to work today to paint a basement for an elderly woman who lives down the road from us . He left at 10 this morning and only got home at just after 6 . He is not feeling well and is burping constantly and he feels sick . I am worried that he might have injested to much paint fumes because the basement was sealed up for the winter and he was in it painting her walls all day and has to go back again tomorrow . There is no ventilation down there and I don't think this is safe . Does anyone know if the paint fumes could be dangerous and what I might need to look out for because I know he is not going to tell me if he is really sick becasue he is not going to want to go to the hospital !!
1 person likes this
4 responses
@syankee525 (6294)
• United States
22 Sep 08
yeah can be very harmful.. get himself a mack to wear and takes lot of breaks as well. like the other person get fans..
1 person likes this
• Canada
22 Sep 08
Thank you for the advice , maybe I can pick him up a mask tomorrow :)
• United States
22 Sep 08
wow i must been tired last night, but yeah he should have something to protect himself. and take lot of breaks.. if you get him a fan when he use it have turn it back ward so it will such the fumes out
1 person likes this
• Canada
22 Sep 08
No worries I understood what you were trying to say :)
• Canada
22 Sep 08
That is dangerous he needs to go to a hospital because you can die from this . Tell him you need to go and maybe he will go with you if he thinks you are going for yourself .
1 person likes this
• Canada
22 Sep 08
Thank you for your response .
@Arkie69 (2156)
• United States
21 Sep 08
Tell your husband to get him two of the cheap box fans. Don't go back into that basement and try to pain without them. Set one in the basement door blowing out and the other in the basement blowing in the direction of the one in the door. Paint fumes from the right kind of paint can be deadly in a tight place like that. You didn't say what kind of paint so I am assuming it was the special basement paint. Some of it can be pretty wicked. The gas on his stomach indicates he has already breathed way too many of the fumes. He sure doesn't need any more of it. If he can at all tell him to wait a few days and try to get some of this out of his system before he tries to finish it.
1 person likes this
• Canada
21 Sep 08
He is not sure what kind of paint he was using because I just asked him . The basement is completely sealed up for the winter and I am not sure she even has a window or door that could be opened . When he came home he was vomiting and he is supposed to go back tomorrow and that is what has me worried because he is so pig headed that he will go no matter how sick he is feeling . My husband also has asthma which has me more worried about him . Thank you for your response .
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
22 Sep 08
Here is an interesting article about paint fumes to read http://www.essortment.com/family/paintfumesperm_szsc.htm