Are bodies just vessels or does the "sprit" hang around after death?

@sedel1027 (17883)
After reading another discussion abotu wakes, I was reminded of when my grandmother passed away. I am not a fan of dead humans. Well, let me rephrase that. I am not scared of dead bodies. I don't like dead bodies that are made up to be a live. At my grandmothers funeral, my mom was having a small cow that I wouldn't go see the body. I told her (which this is soemthing she should believe since she is catholic) that my grandmother wasn't there any more and that was just a dead body. Her reasoning is that I needed to see the body because it "was still my grandmother". I don't get wakes and why people want to go to them. I don't understand how seeing someone dead helps with closure. The day my husband leaves for boot camp this year will be the anniversary of my grandmothers burial and after all these years I still get upset (she died 7 years ago). So what is your take? Does wakes help? Do you believe that the spirit even hangs around long enough to see how many people "view" their body?