Do You Worry About Where Your Chocolate Comes From?

@Pigglies (9339)
United States
October 15, 2008 11:48pm CST
Today I bought an 88% chocolate bar that says it comes from fair trade practices. I have watched documentaries in the past about child slavery in the chocolate industry. While it does sadden me, I don't often see chocolate available that says it is not from such places. And even when I do see these labels, sometimes I find it hard to believe that people are actually even checking. So do you just buy any kind of chocolate and not worry about it or do you look into the companies you purchase from?
1 person likes this
5 responses
• Philippines
1 Nov 08
of course i do, not only on how they were processed but also on the ingredients they contain
@Pigglies (9339)
• United States
1 Nov 08
So where do you go to check all of that?
@Duvessa (913)
• United States
30 Oct 08
I don't buy from companies that do animal testing, such as MARS candy company. I pretty much only eat Hershey's chocolate. So your candy bar was 88% chocolate, what was the other 12%?! My mom used to tell me chocolate was made with rat fur...or had rat fur in it or something like that
@Pigglies (9339)
• United States
31 Oct 08
Yeah, I just saw that recently about MARS with the M&Ms and all that. I don't eat dairy products so I don't eat any of their products already. I forget what the other 12% was... some kind of binders and stuff I guess. It was all animal free though.
16 Oct 08
I have to be honest and say that when I buy chocolate I do not care where it has been and do not check - I am such a chocoholic that I just need my fix!
@Pigglies (9339)
• United States
17 Oct 08
Hey, at least you are honest. I have to admit I don't really check that clothes I buy aren't from sweatshops.
• Philippines
16 Oct 08
yes i worry about where my chocolate comes from..because of the melamine scare in China, milk is also an ingredient of chocolates..it seems like our food is not safe to eat anymore..especially if you really don't know where it came from.
@Pigglies (9339)
• United States
17 Oct 08
Milk is not an ingredient in any of the chocolates I buy so I don't have to worry about that luckily. But I do wonder sometimes about imported foods and the safety of their ingredients. And even foods here. I would prefer to be able to make everything myself, but unfortunately that would be impossible.
@eaforeman6 (8983)
• United States
16 Oct 08
I would have to research my different to chocolates to answer you. I dont think that they come from the same places. It may take awhile to track down the information. I want to know more about this!
@Pigglies (9339)
• United States
16 Oct 08
The one I bought today was from that "Endangered Species" brand of chocolate. I don't know of other brands that are guaranteed to not use slavery. I wonder if the documentary is on YouTube, but probably not since I think it was on HBO. I'll see if I can hunt one down online and I'll post it here if I can.
1 person likes this