Transportation Funding

@bobmnu (8160)
United States
April 14, 2009 2:48pm CST
This past weekend I traveled through several large cities. I noticed that in cities with large mass transportation the roads were in very poor shape. As I was driving in Chicago, IL it was reported on the radio that in some neighborhoods the people were buying driveway patch mix to repair the potholes in the area. Walking around Chicago I noticed that they had several new buses including the double ones that would bend in the middle. These buses were running almost empty. I am one that is upset with massive amounts of the Gas Tax, which was to be for highway constructiona dn repair, is being used to provide mass transportation in the large cities. People who are using mass transit pay about 25% of the cost of the transportation and the people who drive cars and pay the Gas Tax are providing the other 75% of the cost. It upsets me to see the roads and bridges falling apart while we have nice paved bike trails and walking trails and people who don't drive enjoy mass transit and I am the one paying for it and paying for the repairs to my car from the bad roads. Let the p[eople who want the bike trails, walking paths and mass transit pay for it just like I have to pay for the roads I drive on.
1 person likes this
1 response
@Destiny007 (5820)
• United States
14 Apr 09
I agree. The agenda of the government however, is to push mass transit and to eventually eliminate private ownership of vehicles. Meanwhile, the gas taxes are not being used to keep the roads up. Instead, they are being used for other purposes, such as mass transit.
@bobmnu (8160)
• United States
15 Apr 09
I think it is an issue that we need to keep hammering at and writing to the legislators. I keep telling them that mass transit must pay for its self and they have to use the gas tax for highway imporvement and maintaince - period.