Apartment Fires.

United States
May 13, 2009 7:05am CST
My daughters apartment burned about 6 months ago. There was nothing left at all. The apartments were 3 units high and hers happened to be the one on top. Apparently the apartment on the second floor had a candle burning because the couple there had the electric off and were in the process of being evicted. The apartment that was worstly affected was hers, the one on top. My question is... I live in USA Texas. What are the rules./codes for apartments? Does anyone know. Because there was only one exit from that 3rd floor apartment. Thankfully, she works nights as a nurse and was not home. But, I keep thinking what if she was! The fir burned the hottest right under the entrance of her apt. If she had of been there, the fireman said it would have been impossible for her to get out. Also she had no fire insurance. She lost everything. So sad.
7 responses
• United States
13 May 09
The building codes vary wildly from state to state and city to city. Last August there was a huge fire not far from where I live. It started in buildings that were under construction. The wind blew the fire so that the 2 buildings under construction were destroyed. Two of the four apartment buildings next to it were also destroyed. There were tons and tons of debates about the apartment buildings and whether or not they were up to code. It really was a terrible thing. Thankfully, it was about dinner time so many people were not yet home from work. The ones who were home were about to escape safely. It sounds like your daughter's apartment was a house converted into apartments. I think there are often different regulations for these types of apartments than there are for apartment buildings. Im sorry to hear that your daughter lost everything and didnt have fire insurance. That is a really tough situation. I am glad that she is ok.
• United States
14 May 09
Thank you for your response. Her apartment was actually a huge apartment complex in Fort Worth Texas on Overton Ridge Road. There are hundrends of units in this complex. There was one door in/out besides the balcony and it had no ladder and was three stories up. Under it was nothing but concrete. The balcony was also paralel to the door, so if the fire blocked the door, it was blocked too. Dangerous situation.
@saanoo (1)
• China
14 May 09
I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your danghter,may god bless her,hope she will be fine as soon as possibly
@aikhong (664)
• Malaysia
14 May 09
Oh thank God that your daughter is saved from the fire. But too bad that all of the things are gone as well. I thnk this is a serious issue that should be raised to the department in charge of the apartment. Appropriate changes to the safety features and evacuate system should be done to ensure the safety of all the residents there. The ones who caused this fire should be hold responsible on the losses caused too.
@Qaeyious (2362)
• United States
14 May 09
I moved to my current location in April 1997. Most other places I lived for only a few years before being relocated to a new job location. The first year, eight apartments got wiped out due to a grease fire. Two more the second year - One started from a barbeque on the balcony (which is against the lease policy) and the second from someone storing gasoline in the same place where the gas water heater is (DUH ...) Fortunately I can afford insurance, and if the people had their electric shut off and facing eviction, good luck getting any money from them. Maybe criminal negligence charges, so they don't put anyone else in danger? Only a lawyer can tell you that, and they also cost a few dollars.
• United States
14 May 09
Wow. It's terrible that she lost everything but what good news that she wasn't home! Call the building inspectors or code enforcers for your city. They will probably be glad to tell you. Also, you may be able to check your public library for the information. Good luck to you and to your daughter!
@yoyozhou (356)
• China
14 May 09
Oh,I am sorry to hear that.Is there any agency who you can consult the matter? I think it is unfair your daughter lost everything because of the fire.At least the govement should do something to the matter.
@Browisn (782)
• United States
13 May 09
Now that is extra scary for me. We also live on the top floor of a three story apartment bldg, and we are home most of the time, especially at night. I worry about fires a lot since we also have only one exit other then the windows. I have a rope ladder near the window at the end of our apt. opposite the entrance but I've never tried it. I really don't even know how long it would take to set up the ladder and climb down it necessary. But, I think I am gonna try it soon. I am also curious about the fire and bldg. codes here in Virginia. Thanks for giving me the motivation I needed to do something. Happy MyLotting...