My daughter thinks she knows everything.........................

Hi Everyone,I am at my wits end. My 12 year old daughter thinks she knows everything. It is maddening, you can't tell her anything without a smart aleck comment or dirty look. She's also hit the stage where everything is stupid and treats everyone in the house (except her dad) like crap. She was with my mom this past weekend for a fair and everything was "lame" or "stupid". Needless to say, my mom probably won't do the fair thing with her anymore. Aside from getting upset and constantly blowing my top at the frustration (because I know that is not going to help) are there any suggestions on how to handle this or is it just trial by fire? The biggest issue is that my 6 year old is starting to pick up on the attitude. All my girls are pretty headstrong and by the end of the day I am pretty much too tired, stressed or irritated to think rationally on how to help my problem. I feel my oldest is too old to be "spanked" (I'm not in to the hitting thing anyway) and sending her to her room constantly is getting redundant, besides, I think she actually likes going to her room now. So what am I to do, I can give her space but don't want her to feel like I'm alienating or ignoring her. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Any suggestions/comments?